Toxotes microlepis

Bradc

Toxotes microlepis archer fish. Being a true freshwater not brackish species, do many lfs etc know the types they are getting when they get them in? The reason i ask is because id love to put some in with some geophagus but dont want the brackish characteristics. I had 2 archer fish years ago no idea what genes and i had them in with community fish and they were by far my favourite but i gave them away because they out grew my tank at the time. Any suggestions if they are compatible with geos and possibly places to buy these fish would be appreciated 

Shops would only know where our native collected ones would come from,, other supplies come from and imported Asian from countries,, these tend to be found in more salty situations, and there are a lot of variants, whilst oz has a lot of fresh water populations, there are also many populations in salty situations.

Regardless of the situation they come from (salt/fresh), they all handle concentrations the same as each other, just like barramundi,,,.   As a adaptation, they have specialized osmaregulartory systems to regulate the salt to fresh water exchange from the inside of the fishes cells to the outside water environment,,, without this function, the cells basically then implode or explode, depending on wether the higher salt concentration exists inside the cells or the outside environment (water).

from my experience Archers do fine in either fresh or brackish

had them in with a Barra, a Saratoga and Snakehead Gudgeons

in a freshwater set up

they school well and are great fun to watch as they spit if you

hold a cricket above the tank

Definetely a under rated fish,, their intelligence I reckon, runs rings around other fish.

Damn hardy to.

My Archers have always been with me like a algae magnet cleaner, when you move the outside one, the inside one is always sure to follow at a instant every time......    ☺️

Archived