Easiest insulation to add and remove?

sicj

Hi all

i currently rent and I have my fish tanks in a detached garage. 

it is freezing in there and I really would like to insulate it to help keep warm this winter and cooler in summer. 

I need an idea with a type of insulation that I can remove when I leave with ease and no fuss. 

My he structure of the building is made of wood and walls of fibro. 

Any my help would be great. 

John

Ok I have the perfect solution for you.

30mm polystyrene white sheets,,, 2.4x1.2m,,,,,, the side sheets simply just stand up,, acrylic liquid nails for glue so you don't melt it,,,,.  

Next you get a bundle of sticks (and no, not a faggit). Lol, like cheap 19x19mm timber.

Then get yourself a bulk pack of long zip ties from electrical section in bunnings, don't forget you can join them to make longer ones,,,,  cut a heap at 2.4m use zips to attach these to the behind of tanks along the vertical legs of the tank stands,, so at the very top of 2.4m is your ceiling height.

You then take lengths and run horizontally spanning from each of the top tips then using the zip ties to tie them and use a second one in the opposite diagonal direction in a cross form,,,, these ceiling joist like 19x19mm can run in all messy directions,, and it's best to have you isle or isles tighter to bridge the span of thin timbers better, but it's only holding 30mm polystryene....

Brand new 2.4x1.2m 30mm polystryene sheets are fairly cheap.

Hope that helps.

Unfortunately no common places like bunnings,,,, you'll have to google polystyrene suppliers for your area,, and if not in your area ask them for delivery costs,, sometimes companies have regular delivery runs, and you could be in the travels vicinity.

Very cheap brand new,,, and very easy to manage.

bit of a handy hint, cloth tape from bunnings will help hold it together while glue dries,,,  also a spray can of space invader or builders expander foam,, you squirt this stuff into cracks (consistency of shaving cream when first applied), it then swells right up and dries similar to polystyrene.

Build it with no door,,, after finishing, Mark out a door way with texted then make one cut only down the hinge side,,, do not cut rest out,,, at this, point, you get a strip of strong fabric material, and glue with acrylic liquid nails the strip from top to bottom, and ensure the strip (roughly 100mm wide is centered width wise over your first cut out for the door),,, once glue is dry, with the hack saw blade or similar, proceed to cut rest of door out,,,,,.    Waa Laa, a swinging door with a perfect margin all around.   :)

• 2 weeks later...

Great idea! 

Im thinking that it's the way I'm gonna go about to add a new rack of tanks might just add foam first then I can hit all by wall as I finish off arranging other racks!

clark rubber had some decent sized sheets when I bought some last for under the tanks 

just thinking for the floor Lino might be 2nd best? Y/N

If your running a sump or sumps, then it doesn't matter what's on the ground.

but if your running airlift filters only,,, then fake turf takes the direct chill of the bottom tanks in winter.

With sufficient circulating heat in a well insulated room, you shouldn't have problems,,, when you really insulate well, make sure your lids are tight and sealed off best you can to reduce humidity.

21 hours ago, lloydashton said:

garage door insulation kits from bunnings. Easy and removable. Was $165 for a double garage.  

Hi @lloydashton Are you able to send a link to these? I looked on Bunnings website, but many different ones and none specific for garage doors.

Thanks,

18 minutes ago, Spiesie said:

Hi @lloydashton Are you able to send a link to these? I looked on Bunnings website, but many different ones and none specific for garage doors.

Thanks,

It may be a special order. 

Below is the company that makes them, give them a call to find out your nearest retailer, however bunnings can order them in for you. 

http://www.greeninsulation.com.au/product-overview/reflecta-gdi 

Archived