Tank build

Bradc

Hey guys and gals ive just come to the conclusion i havent the room for a 6ft tank like i had planned but i have room for a 4ft tank but heres my question.. how high can i make the tank? I was thinking of getting 1 made that has some good height to it so i still have some good literature/gallons .. just wondering your thoughts and if any of you have a tank thaslts alot higher then average 

Water pressure in influenced by water height rather than water volume. As Buccal said higher the tank the thicker the glass needs to be.

Glass manufacturers will have different tolerances when make recommendations for the use of their glass in aquaria.  

Not knowing exactly what height you have in mind a suggested guide is;

600mm high = 10mm glass 
750mm high = 12mm glass 
850mm high = 15mm glass 
1000mm high = 19mm glass 

The below link has some good information and excellent tables towards the end  

http://www.nationalglass.com.au/catalogues/NGP_Section_14.pdf

Ged

image.jpeg

Legends i knew there was a thickness over certain heights but wasnt 100 sure .. do most glass mobs do tanks you reckon or try and find people who build specific aquariums ? 

also consider the higher the tank, the longer your arms need to be to reach the bottom :) love really tall tanks, check out cttompsons thread on his tank, it should be here somewhere.

as for who can make it, always go with a specific tank builder.

Ill have a look for it and yeah haha i was thinking of buying a python and buying the longest gravel cleaner i can lol and with a high tank will just allow me to have a few more fish my current 3 foot will be over populated when they are fully grown so need something bigger .. hopefully there are some tank builders near forster/taree/port maquarie here in nsw

My tank is just under 2m and 1.3m wide and 1m deep (top to bottom).

Try to have heaps substrate dwellers like catfish, loaches or geophagus,,, there's heaps,,,,,,, these guys will keep substrate turned and very clean with no need to syphon or vac bottom.

Being so deep with no reach, don't go over board with to thick substrate that traps crap under and causes disease and fast nitrate climbs,,,,, I like to lay very thin slate that sheeths of in strata style then have substrate over top so digging exposes bits of rock and not glass bottom.        I have Toodyay stone lining mine, but any slate and the likes of is fine.

Any pictures buccal at all? Id like to see how deep 1m looks plus look at the monster tank lol .. and that makes sense in have those substrate dwellers .. are there many that like same water conditions as cichlids or can handle cichlids ? Thanks everyone for the input to helps alot

I'll try to get pics over weekend, but in terrible on the computer,, I've pulled it off a few times.

yeah plenty of choices to mix with cichlids,, some common stuff that are striking and really do get along with the African cichlids.

Clown loaches and pakastani loaches I've got heaps in my tank.

Hemabagrus, Pimelodus ornatus, big doriads, bumble bee catfish are great, most synodontis,,,, with S.multipunctatus best suited, synodontis feather fins do well,,, black lancers pretty cool and do well, I got a marbled lancer and he's about 32cm or so.

Lol, 12mm sides, 15mm base,,, I cut heaps of cleats which got glued into the internal corner joins which basically doubled the surface area for glueing,,, so from 12mm to 24mm thickness for silicone butt joint,,,,,,,,. Toughened.

Archived