Introduction/Tanganyikan set-up

stevieboy

Hi all,

Been out of fish for about 8-10 years with my last tank being a small 3ft Malawi setup. Currently got a 4x1.8x1.5 that I'm slowly stocking with Tanganyikan cichlids. Tank has been running for two weeks and currently have 4 comps, 4 multifasciatus (2 pairs), 8 leleupi and 4 caudopunctatus.. All fish are only small as I want watch them grow up and hopeful pair up. My thoughts are that I need to remove 1 pair of the multis as they are overly aggressive around their shell as both pairs started breeding as soon as I put them in the tank. I also want to stock the tank with 4 black 

calvus and 8-10 leptosome to occupy the top water column. Just want to know if I'm on the right path and obviously any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

My only issue is I'm finding it extremely hard to come across many tanganyikan cichlids as where I'm located a lot of places don't have any or have a very limited selection. I'm from the Mornington Peninsula (Vic) and I've only found two aquariums (Evalife in Frankston & Keysborough Aquarium) that have a range of these lovely fish. Would like to know where else I can find tangs.. I'm waiting for the Cichlid Society Auction on April 9th to hopefully come across some black calvus as everyone I have asked have said they currently can't get them in.

Today I went to Cranbourne aquarium which don't stock cichlids any longer, Bunarong aquarium (Frankston) who have a very small and limited range of cichlids, Mentone aquarium who don't stock cichlids, Amazing amazon (Glen Waverly) who have a small range, Keysborough aquarium who probably have the biggest range of cichlids I've come across and Evalife who have a decent range of high quality cichlids. I feel like there must be more places around that stock cichlids.. Isn't there?

Look forward to hearing from you all,

Cheers Steve.

Either Alto Comp or Calvus wouldn't mix both of them if you want to breed them

Leptosoma only look for Malasa or Utinta or Nigripinnis as the Jumbo's need more room and can be aggressive

Alto and Leleupi will control Multi levels by fry predation

I concur with Chris. In a tank of that size you really only have the choice of utinta or malasa the jumbos really need 6x2's when they grow up. 

With the multis just put more shells on there and break their line of sight work rocks etc.  Some other cool fish are julies. You could a couple of transcriptus or regani as well. 

Unfortunately you can only have comps or calvus

Cheers

Rosco

Thanks all for the advice. Went down to keysborough and got 4 julidochromis regani and 4 altolamprologus compressiceps which have all fitted in well. I'm waiting for the cichlid auction next Saturday in Mulgrave to hopefully purchase some leptosoma :) 

Can you keep leptosoma and Nigripinnis in the same tank or should you pick one over the other??

Cheers,

Steve.

most Cyp keepers keep one species per tank, however this is your choice if you want to keep a different mix to see if it works

Cyps with Nigripinnis, as Malasa/Utinta are top water species and Nigripinnis prefer lower level and dark areas due to coming

from deeper areas in the lake and like to hang upside down under structure

A couple of slate sheets lent against the back glass will keep them happy and accentuate the males neon blue streaks

remember also that Alto's, N. lepeupi, J. regani and P. nigripinnis all share similar niche area traits with structure

as do N. caudopunctatus and, N. multifasciatus share shell spawn sites

Archived