Pallet Racking

Yowie

Anyone using pallet racking with just foam over the rails? Tanks are 6x2 and I don't really want to put plywood under them. Anyone had pallet rack set up this way for a period of time?

It's there a reason you don't want to add the timber?

I've seen it done but the tanks weren't quite that big/heavy. They were 4'x2'x16". I know it was up and running like this for a couple of years at least.

I actually bought that rack and first thing I did was add marine ply. 

For me it was easy to decide on the extra reinforcement...

- How much are the tanks worth to replace if broken/base drops out. 

- How much are the contents of the tanks worth. 

- How much damage can a few hundred litres of water do where the tanks are going to be. 

Vs.

- How much are a few sheets of marine ply...

On 24 February 2016 at 9:31 PM, Ducksta said:

It's there a reason you don't want to add the timber?

I've seen it done but the tanks weren't quite that big/heavy. They were 4'x2'x16". I know it was up and running like this for a couple of years at least.

I actually bought that rack and first thing I did was add marine ply. 

For me it was easy to decide on the extra reinforcement...

- How much are the tanks worth to replace if broken/base drops out. 

- How much are the contents of the tanks worth. 

- How much damage can a few hundred litres of water do where the tanks are going to be. 

Vs.

- How much are a few sheets of marine ply...

The reason is simply to buy back some space between tanks, I'm going three tier 6x2x20" and it's been a bit concept on the run up to this point. We will see what it looks like on the other side of the weekend. 

image.jpg

Way I see it,,,,,, but first off, I built my own frames from timber and the way I built it is a no different outcome as the steel racking that Lithoman showed pics off.

Also going to say Ducksta has explained the way it is, but some people are more prone to accidental error.

The aquarist type that would need ply or excessive cross bracing, would be the type that keeps rocks and ornaments in the tank,, and one slip or slight knock can make the tank blow out.

If your bare bottom or substrate only or boyant ornaments, then getting 10mm, yes 10mm foam sheets cut into strips at the width or thickness of the framing material that the tank sits directly on top of,,,, I have 6 total on a example rack at 6x2x2 sitting on strips only, as I discussed. (Obviously I'm a no ornament type, but there's 130 tanks sitting on strips like this and a fair few big rocks in the tanks here and there, but I'm a risk taker and consider myself as cautious compared to most).

Also important,,, if you do this strip method, then ensure you go the extra mile on leveling the stands with minimal error,, as the foam is there to take up the descrepencies between the highest point and lowest point of the finished position,,,, so this means thicker foam is better and gets a thickness upgrade with the heavier tanks,,,, but nice n level and you'll scrape in using 10mm.

30mm will compact 20-30% with a 6ft on top, but for first few weeks to a few months it may not compact much at all, after a year it maybe closer to half,,, giving you bearing on your top void areas,,,, and it sounds silly, but when it's tight, like mine to (lol, I'm talking top void work space), it's amazing how much getting a extra 10mm makes.     :thumb:thumb

I will stick with ply with some bracing underneath just for the added safety margin, it's how I was going to do it originally before flirting with the idea of rails only. Thanks for the input. 

Painted up the rails with some black plasti dip as the Orange wasn't really working for me, I'll run the air loop tomorrow and put the front rails on. Just need to pick up some plywood now but the trailer is full of tanks, the joys of prior planning. 

image.jpg

Archived