8x3x2.5 Tank Journal

Alex

The varieties I've heard of turning up in saleable numbers now have been rumored to be here for well over a decade.

It's possible they really have been here all along and it took a long time to get a successful spawn from mature fish.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have abandoned Facebook altogether, but lets not ruin this thread with scum talk.

Plumbing has started, pretty time consuming, but I have done all I can until I get my sump.

Even though I already had the tank and stand, I let the tank go quite a bit when I was keeping fish last. So has needed a lot of work - new plumbing, repaint the back of the tank and stand, new filtration and will grab some new LED's. Will look unrecognisable once done.

Keeping tankbusters is in the blood! Can't fight genetics.

Filled up the plumbing with water the other day, everything glued held water fine, some of the thread connections leaked even with thread tape. The grooves on the threaded connections is quite deep, so may have to use more thread tape this time around. I hate plumbing.

Sump has come along nicely!

Just a couple small pieces of strapping to be put in the inlet chamber that a piece of egg crate will go over and she is done. Time to start getting annoyed waiting for the pump.

1E2C0D11-92CE-45CD-807A-5A15DAA19731_zps

3D83D290-4B52-4024-BAEF-E517F43B0300_zps

Compartments have all been measured. Paul at Morley Aquariums who has built the sump also ordered the pump for me. If he hasn't measured properly, he can always move the baffles without much worry. Beauty of buying your return pump from your sump builder. :)

yeah I didn't have a pump in mind when I had my sump made and its a little small for large pumps. Is a bit of a pain. I was too lazy to move the bulkhead so had to use a compartment.

You must be pretty close to being able to fill it now...just the pump holding you up?

Have you eyed any fish yet to put in?

yeah I didn't have a pump in mind when I had my sump made and its a little small for large pumps. Is a bit of a pain. I was too lazy to move the bulkhead so had to use a compartment.

You must be pretty close to being able to fill it now...just the pump holding you up?

Have you eyed any fish yet to put in?

Yeah pretty much just the pump holding me up now. The tank is off the wall by a few feet so I have good access to the back of the tank (moved to paint the walls), so i wanted to get the return pump hard plumbed in before I pushed the tank back onto the wall while I have good access.

In terms of fish, the first fish I will most likely do my dough on will be a good school of Myleus spp - Red Hooks and Black Bars.

To be honest, it feels like that is the way I am leaning at the minute.

50L of K1 media on the way in the post. :)

great stuff but that type of filtration is quite noisy... just a thought

Yeah mate. I'm not too fussed it is in the 'games room' which has my snakes at the moment (moving to a spare room soon) and a gym set up. Can always just close the doors. Not in the living room/family room or anything like that. I grew up with tanks in my bed room, bit of fish noise has never bothered me. I'll sacrifice a bit of extra noise for excellent filtration.

Archived