8x3x2.5 Tank Journal

Alex

Yeah it is always amazing when you pull larger fish out of the water how big they actually are. Especially something like a large pleco covered in spines etc. 

A big stingray is whole new kettle of 'fish' though big flapper with a big dagger covered in venom. 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is 50l of K1 media, and it is being circulated by two small powerhead - works ok but not perfectly. I am revising this over the next couple of weeks with a high powered pond air pump and a sprinkler system. Will post pics of the process once done. 

Circulation is similar, the sump return and a powerhead at the bottom of the tank, again works ok but not perfectly. This is also being revised to a series of wave makers. Will hopefully have these two upgrades done in the next month and it should all be just the way i like it. 

I've found the simplest method to circulate is still air stones. Try using sintered glass air stones as they are negatively buoyant. Cost a little more but your able to get with different t connections, sizes and dimensions.

I've got about 40l of k1 running in two chambers of a matrix style sump. Going to try and double that if space permits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did a WC last night so the Bass fired up - couldn't help getting some pics. 

The yellow/gold that surrounds the Ocelli is the most intense yellow colour I have seen on a fish, actually looks fake, as if someone has painted it on. Excuse the less than ideal iPhone pics. 

• 11 months later...

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes the tank is still running. There are now only 5 bass (1m 4F). I recently went overseas for almost two months, so wanted to decrease the bioload in my absence so some bass had to go. In reality 10 was too many. The big boy male is some fish now, 45cm long as thick as a brick. All the rays have also grown a lot and have started to have pups also. Biggest girl has a disk diameter of 45cm +

Awesome dude glad to hear the set up is goin well. That ray is huuuuuuge lol. Can't believe how much size it's packed on. Love this tank 

Pups are moved as soon as they are noticed, have had a few over the years get chewed on by the adult rays (no deaths though).

The Bass are too stupid to get ahold of the ray pups, it is the adult rays that concern me more.

Archived