8x3x2.5 Tank Journal

Alex

G'day

After 18months out of the game (first time in 20years!), I'm back!

I have started to clean up my 8'x3'x2.5', took a bit of elbow grease and will take a bit more to get her looking tip top again, but she is well on the way.

I have just paid for a new sump to go underneath in the empty space - the dimensions of the sump are 4'x2.5'x1.5' and comprises only two media chambers, first one will be filled with matala matting or similar the next will have copious amounts of K1 media.I won't post any pictures of the sump plans, instead i'll take some pics when it is sitting on the stand. Also got a Ecotech Vectra M1 pump as a return.

Won't be a super fast journal, will hopefully have fish in it by the end of November.

The big question is what to stock, tossing up between two completely different themes. Either a dedicated Tang tank, or stick to what I know, Tankbusters. What would everyone else like to see?

256C4192-F675-4628-BD08-5F21C86DF5C0_zps

Alex

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw your post earlier and was hoping you'd do a journal....looking forward to seeing what you do (and get).

I had a 10 year break (not tankless but out of the scene) and I'd recommend trying something different for the fun. You can always change it.

edit I used to have a timber table that people used to sign and the only rule to signing the table was you had to be pretty blind to sign it...had a mate called scotty and he signed it one night, Sott and never lived it down...did you check your name recently :p

Tbs or tangs ?,,,, Your going to get a lot of mixed responses out of that question, hah ha.

I must say, I've never heard any fisho speak of the two tank arrangement types as a decision. Sounds odd, but if you love it all, you love it all I guess. Ha ha.

I saw your post earlier and was hoping you'd do a journal....looking forward to seeing what you do (and get).

I had a 10 year break (not tankless but out of the scene) and I'd recommend trying something different for the fun. You can always change it.

edit I used to have a timber table that people used to sign and the only rule to signing the table was you had to be pretty blind to sign it...had a mate called scotty and he signed it one night, Sott and never lived it down...did you check your name recently :p

Yeah, bloody 'autocorrect' changed my name! Resolved now. :)

Tbs or tangs ?,,,, Your going to get a lot of mixed responses out of that question, hah ha.

I must say, I've never heard any fisho speak of the two tank arrangement types as a decision. Sounds odd, but if you love it all, you love it all I guess. Ha ha.

Yeah, they are two polar opposites to choose from. I'm open to other suggestions? Just no Discus or Frontosa! :no:

There is only one logical answer... Emporer cichlids.

They would be top of the list if they weren't now noxious in W.A. Want to keep it legit. :)

I'd be doing group of 3 cichla and whatever else they didn't kill or eat. Or a pair of umbees, seen fry for sale from awesome pair in qld

If the tank goes down the Tankbuster pathway, then Cichla of some description will definitely get the call up. I have kept Cichla monoculus and Cichla temensis in the past, great fish.

I would lose interest very quickly with a single pair of fish, while Umbee are impressive fish, I prefer to enjoy them in someone else's tanks. Way too much real-estate to dedicated to a couple of fish.

What kind of overflow system are you using for your sump mate?

My tank is drilled (2x), you can't see it in the pic because a RTC smashed the last weir box. Having another one made along with my sump. Will be fitted around the overflow holes when complete.

Yeah it's fundamentally a display tank.

I think a nicely done Tang tank would have a subtle beauty to it. The initial outlay of stock for either tanks would be pretty high. My centre piece for a tang tank would centre around a large school of leptos. In reality I would need to buy an initial school of 20 and breed the numbers up over 12months.

Awesome stuff mate, would make an awesome tang tank too could have plenty of fish as well. Sweet to hear you can get wier boxes made in oz. I've been looking into sumps and learning how they work for a future earlier next year.

I reckon you would have a pretty awesome tang display - leptos with Xeno, altos, rock pile at each end for something, possibly even a small shell bed for shellies.

Yeah, very similar to what I would stock in terms of tangs.

And some fronnies :-p

Rather fill my tank with rocks and watch the rocks. :)

South American biotype would look stunning with the right fish. Maybe a Tapajos/Arapiuns biotope with Geophagus sp. "Orange Head" and Lemon Tetra

Yeah a SA bio' would look great if done well.

Awesome stuff mate, would make an awesome tang tank too could have plenty of fish as well. Sweet to hear you can get wier boxes made in oz. I've been looking into sumps and learning how they work for a future earlier next year.

Weir box is just a small glass box to go over the drilled outlets, any tank maker would be able to make them.

Ah ok cool thanks for the tip I've been looking at the black acrylic strainer types online but would prob end up being cheaper getting a tank maker to knock a glass one up.

Archived