Help! Green stuff on Texas holey Rock

Ashy.a.p89

Hey guys!

I have some Texas holey Rock that had been used in my cichlid tank for about 3+ years that developed some strange bright green spots on it that appear to be more of a staining and slight slimeyness rather than a fuzziness like some algaes (sorry about my descriptions. I'm great with fish knowledge but average with algae knowledge). I'm assuming it's either a type of algae or blue green algae. I have since sold all of my cichlids and taken the holey Rock out (of which I also intend to sell) and sat it outside with hopes drying out will kill whatever it is. But it hasn't made any difference! And the holey Rock is also going a very faint tinge of purple!
I know flourish excel can be used at double dose to kill many types of trouble algae but it's quite expensive and considering I want to sell it, I don't think it's worth it.

I have uploaded a picture in the gallery -> http://www.aceforums.com.au/index.php?app=gallery&album=536
Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on what may work? I don't want to sell Rock to someone that's going to cause troublesome algae growth in their tank!

Cheers

Also hydrochloric acid painted on neat then wait till it stops fizzing and washed off with the garden hose. Just wear gloves and don't get it on your skin .

hth

Neil

Thanks for the response guys.

Skippy, no medications have been used. My tank and fish were always really healthy. Water parameters were always good, although I never tested phosphates because I didn't have much of an algae problem and didn't keep plants in this tank.

Chuckmeister, how safe is bleaching and then re-entering into a tank? Like I said earlier, I don't want to sell them and cause damage to another persons tank.

and Neil, where would I get hydrochloric acid from? and once again how safe is it to be re-entered into a tank?

I use Seachem's prime as my water conditioner, could I use that to remove the the bleach or hydrochloric acid? Or Seachem's safe? I need to get some of that so I can bleach and regenerate the purigen in my filter.

Archived