My planted tank journey

Chuckmeister

not much of an update. Got my soil finally..threw a bit in and had a bit of a shuffle around to see how the soil sits.

Also set the filter up as my ceramic noodles came as well

High volume air pump, test kits etc and a couple of ceramic caves. I really like these actually and for 10 bucks a pop is a bit of a bargain.

Going to have to get some silicone tomorrow and cover those cards (that I slipped in the mounds) with substrate so they remain unseen.

Pics of a couple of caves I got. The long term plan is to pop in some L046 once I can see that water parameters are not going to swing wildly

DSC00969_zpskyrm3w4y.jpg

DSC00970_zpsjcmjlr9i.jpg

I'm still waiting on my bit of wood to get delivered so this isn't the final result....waiting waiting...next week I should finally be able to go forward...wish I could say I'm patient but I'm hanging in there lol

burying the caves doesn't really seem like the logical thing to do but I figure I'll just gently pull them out and reset them if there is a spawn of anything in there. Gonna start on some peppermints, then some cheaper Lcats to start with.

Also decided the 5x2 underneith is going to be a planted tang tank...never done planted tanganyikan so may as well have a crack.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chuck it is definitely taking shape. The addition of the caves into the aquascape is a good idea.

I liked how you stabllised the slope by inserting styrofoam wafers. The danger is without stabilisation the soil can move downslope under its own weight.

The sidedrop is looking great.

Can't wait to see the next instalment.

Ged

Thanks guys, yeah this will obviously change around once I get my bits and pieces of wood off ebay. Was sort of just a play to keep myself happy lol

The plastic slides I have is thin corflute. I was going to cover them is some soil but I've had a 2 day hangover...just another thing on the 2do list lol

• 2 weeks later...

Got one piece of my wood finally today...just waiting on another. Sat I get my plants and finally I can go forward on this tank. Updates coming.

Decided against the large buildup of hills (on the corners)on this tank. So I'll just slope it thin at the front and deep at the back for that illusion of depth.

DSC01018_zpsktan18fd.jpg

DSC01022_zpslstmkzkr.jpg

Was up till about 3am this morning getting these plants in. Found a great guy in perth who has been doing plants for 30 years and who also has a background in horticulture. Quite a full bottle and has one of the best collections in perth.

Basically I planted out both my tanks for 170 dollars and got a heap of great advice as well.

DSC01143_zpsl4jnnnay.jpg

DSC01138_zpsceiikeir.jpg

DSC01145_zps0b2zunvt.jpg

and one of my tang tank

planted%20first%2012%20hours_zpsehbzxdio

my list of plants are :

microphyllum

Rotala - pink - middle to back

Rotala - mini - middle to back

Hottonia palustris - foreground

Water Rose - foreground

Pearlweed - ground

Willowleaf, Hygrophila willowleaf - back

Moneywort - green - middle

Moneywort - yellow - middle

Bacopa flatleaf - middle

Hygrophila long leaf - back

Hygrophila green temple - back

Hygrophila giant - back

Hygrophila rubra - middle

bacopa mini - middle

bacopa giant - middle

Sword - middle to back

Hairgrass - foreground

Lilaeopsis - foreground

Java crested

Java normal

Vallis corkscrew - foreground

Pygmy chain sword - foreground

Crypt wendtii - brown

crypt wendtii - green

Pygmy sword

There are a couple more but I was writing them down as I heard them and clearly heard something different as I cant find them.

My tang tank just has some

Vallis

Singonium

Water cress

Water celery

Water parsley

and another I didn't catch lol

Hopefully the tropheus small size will let things establish in there before it gets smashed. Its definately helping them out from hiding from the kendalli :p I also got 12 peppermints ...they are going to go to the planted tank when it cycles. Hopefully they dont look at it like a giant dinner plate.

I'll tidy the bottom tank up as the tropheus get a little bigger, now its just wait and see how things go.

Very nice selection of plants Chuck.

The setups at this early stage are looking sensational. Once the plants grow out and you have your fish in it will be stunning.

Very inspirational. :clap

Is the guy you found in Perth well priced?

Hey Rosco, I use ada amazonia. Its a beautiful chocolate brown colour and has everything you need in it for the first few months at least.

There are many ways to tackle a planted tank but at the end of the day I chose a low tech setup with medium light so I didn't have to worry about feeding the plants so much, water changes etc

You need to be mindful also that the soil needs to go through a cycling process.

I had a seeded canister and still had a week or so cycle on it.

Put a few fish in today to keep a load on the filter until I figure out what I really want to put in.

fish4_zpslf6nnza2.jpg

fish3_zpszxulof6x.jpg

fish5_zpsojdxayhr.jpg

Nice to see the tetras in the tank. Have you got neons, black phantoms and glow lights. Hard to tell on my phone.

Chuck what did you plant in front of the sidedrop filter? Will it grow to hide the media?

I'm pretty sure its Hygrophilia willowleaf Ged, though I'm not overly sure until everything settles in and I can start identifying what I've put where.

its apparently a fast grower so I'm hoping it covers the majority of the filter quickly.

I was considering glueing some egg crate on the front face and growing a moss on the front maybe, if it doesn't work the way it is.

2 is cutting it fine imo. They are only small bags, not like the 20 litre bags you normally picture when buying bags of gravel.

I put in 6 in my 5x2. Its enough but I could have put in a 7th.

Its quite granular and I noticed that if it was thin in places is was difficult to keep the plants in the substrate. It pretty frustrating watching your plants float away.

If your tank is empty you could maybe get a watering can and put 2 full ones in or a couple of buckets are around the same.. They are 9/10 litres I think and just check the level on your tank.

edit - just did some quick math :p If you wanted 2 inches in a 3x18 then you would need 21.2376 litres :p or just over 2 bags.

Depends on your finances I guess and/or if you think you can manage with it. If you could stretch your budget to 3 then you'll probably not regret it.

Thanks Chuck. I might wait until I can grab 3 bags but I will head down that path. I want to replace my coral sand in my 6x2x2 to ensure my trumpet snails are gone plus I am after one more 3'led light.

Cheers

Rosco

The more substrate you start with in the beginning the higher the nutrient content is before it is depleted and you have to fertilise. Harder to go back after the tank is filled and say I should have used three bags.

Chuck did you add trace elements and fertiliser below the substrate?

Ged, I'm going to end up going completely low tech with this tank (if I can). No Ferts, trace and micro about twice a year and no water changes or ultra low water changes. Will make for a slow growing tank but I don't mind that so much as its a shallow tank. The fish can supply the ferts right down to the nitrates. The plants eat the lot. I'll have to take it as I see the readings but from my chat with my planted guy he questions why to do it any other way except for plant growth speed and the occasional hard to grow plant.

I'm on another plant forum and it probably contradicts what they would suggest but the way I see it I can adjust up easily enough until I find that happy zone.

Sorry Ged, just re-read what you said again...no the substrate has everything made into it. Its enough to not touch for the first few months but I guess you see when your plants start showing signs of depletion. It depends on which method you have chosen for your tank. My plant guy recommends what I said above (if your not in a hurry) but you can ramp plant speed growth right up to high tech,high light, heavy ferts and co2. I chose low tech because I can minimize my water changes, read lazy lol.

Great approach in my opinion Chuck.

Have you seen the dry start method. It starts off more like a terrarium than an aquarium. Even down to blitzing some plants species and paint the mix onto your driftwood and rock work.

Week 2 down... added in a pair of kribs. these things are so cool..definately cant beat cichlids for personality.

Also some L168, L397, peppermints seeing as as they are 11 dollars at the lfs atm (3.5-4.5cm). Bought 12 for my tropheus tank and another half dozen today for the planted tank.

Also got a ton of shiney blue fleuro stuff of various kinds and some glass catfish.

2 weeks its certainly filling out

week%202_zps0c0umgv7.jpg

Archived