Kendali and Nkambe....Are they close to being "hard to find/rare" ?

goldenswimmers

Just thought I'd see if anyone wanted to discuss the "state of affairs" with these great Tanganyikan predators..the Kendali cichlid and its "cousin" the Nkambe cichlid....

These guys are sometimes available and in shops,etc but then they are almost gone from the hobby or at the least pretty hard to find...

Its these types of guys that worry me a bit because they are quite aggressive so need some fish keeping experience to look after and then breeding them would be a further challenge on top of that...

I have heard people say they are not so bad as individuals in large sized community tanks but this unfortunately will not help with their longevity...

The Nkambe are even closer to the "where are they now" group of fish so these guys definitely require some attention in terms of stock numbers and future longevity in the hobby.

So just thought I would put it out there to hear peoples thoughts,experiences and also any tips on keeping and breeding these great cichlids would be great to hear as well....

lepidiolamp-kendalli-e_zps55675886.jpg

lepidiolamp-kendalli-b_zpsf774e2d6.jpg

Kendalli34_zps601ce424.jpg

Kendalli24_zps96cee82c.jpg

I had some Kendalli quite a few years ago. Beautiful fish. I dont recall them ever being agressive other than guarding a small patch in my 6*2. I introduced some popelini into the tank and they relentlously picked on my kendalli and killed them. I looked for quite some time after I removed the popelini but tracking these fish down was almost impossable. Hopefully someone has bred them recently. They will be few and far between I'd guess.

Chuck

Have seen or heard either around for a while. Majestic (Sponsor) do have L. kendalli advertised so may know of a breeder here in Sydney.

It would be a real loss to the hobby if these species are not maintained.

Smiths had both Kendalli and Nkambae last year when we were up for the auction

Nkambae has always been the harder one to find and I feel the better looking one

they have a reputation of "there can be only one" but I have never kept them

Craig Thompson got a single Kendalli for Brichardi control in his display tank maybe

he can advise how it fared

I feel they are in the same class as Elongatus but maybe them not getting as large could

help them carve a niche in the hobby

Yeah QLD was the last place I heard they were in but could never find out who had them.

Is Smiths a retail shop or a wholesaler? I'm curious if they ship seeing as perth seems quite limited in availability of fish most of the time. I wouldn't mind setting up a small tang tank again with some kendalli and a couple of calvus.

I know this is a little off topic but are there any nice black calvus still going around or have they been ruined by that rubbish from 10 years ago that were getting sold?

Chuckmeister,,, our local shop Vebas has a tank absolutely full of Kendali,,, lol.

All about 8cm,,, perfect size.

Vebas has always kept a full tank of them for more than a year now.

Seems to be a lot of people lately in perth complaining about fish Availabilty without setting a foot into a shop.

Ahh ok..thanks Buccal... I haven't caught up with Pacco for quite a while.. Last time I went there They didn't have them though I wasn't really looking specifically either. I'm surprised I didn't notice them. Veba's for me personally are the only people I will deal with here.

Other than a few select breeders in perth, I have always found quality fish to be reasonably difficult to come by but I'm probably fussier than most. Quality is normally an issue rather than availabilty for a lot of stuff.

I'll give Veba's a ring tomorrow and might set up a tang tank if they have them.

Chuck

Archived