Substrate: Sand (005)

hi there kribbie,

i amnot too sure, as my uncle said his comapny had someleft over and yeh dats why i am not too sure where you can buy it to be honest, have u try landscapers? as thats the only place i can think of.

Hi Guys,

It's pretty straight forward.

- I just put the sand into a bucket, about 1/3,

- then dip the running hose into the bottom of the bucket,

- start churnning the sand slowly with your hand so that the mud and dirt are washed off

- repeat this process many times until you can see the water running clearly

- as I mentioned before, with the river sand you'll never get it clear as it contains mud, soil, etc...But once they settle in the tank, it's fine...

I never boiled the sand, too time consuming. I used about 100kg in a couple of my tanks, how are u gonna boil that much??? tongue.gif

I suppose, it's a PLUS to boil to get rid off all nasties and diseases.

The landscaper where I bought call the beach sand as Sydney White...just ask them if they're beach or river...

As for which one I recommend, it's up to your personal taste, they look very similar anyway...

HTH,

biggrin.gif

DD

hi all

on the subject of sand, most literature strongly recomends the use of coarse river sand[washed]. i use "nepean" sand, this works very well for me, easy to clean and does'nt pack down tight like finer sand, and my sand sifters just luv scooping it up spreading it around. i have tried that micro callibrated sand, but i found the slightest movement stirred it up too much. for the people in ACT nepean sand would be equal to sand that you find in a local dry creek bed. regardless of what sand you choose to use, wash it, wash it, wash-- and yeah ya know.

cheers colfish

To bring this back to the Canberra context, I wonder whether the sand down at Kambah Pools and places like Shallow Crossing (both on the Murrumbidgee) would be good. It certainly is a lovely light colour. From an environmental perspective, the stuff is actually a hazard to the river system. All the deep holes in the Murrumbidgee were filled upwith the stuff when the Gold mining took off upstream in the 19th Century - it's actually an environmental hazard.

Although I have no doubts on the morality of grabbing the stuff, are there any thoughts on either the suitability or the legality of this? unsure.gif

Cheers

Richard

When I was preparing my gravels sometimes ago (those dark coloured fine gravels that I bought from St George), I soaked them in hot water for at least half a day to kill off any bugs/snails/microorganisms~ and keep stirring & changing the hot water until it's clear in colour. smile.gif

Thankyou all for the suggestions, I'll go to those landscaping suppliers this weekend and have a look on which type of sand i like the most... rolleyes.gif I personnally would prefer this type of sand since it would look awesome in a well stocked tank with rocks! biggrin.gif but haven't seen much similar types of sand around sydney though...but in those supplier lists, there is a type of sand called "Brickies sand - white"...is this safe to use in aquarium? cause this type of sand is actually for gardens.... or, do we have to use those sand that actually come from beaches/rivers? huh.gif

over here in WA that kind of sand can be bought from landscape suppliers like soils aint soils for about $4 for 25kg.

as for taking it off the beach illigally i've always been amazed how much sand can get caught in my pockets and the folded cuff of my jeans. laugh.gif

Oh...really??? Lucky that you've told me before I head off there to get it tomorrow! Thankyou Colfish~ blush.gif Yea...I better just get beach sand from suppliers to avoid my fish might get poison~ laugh.gif

hi canerod,

If I were you, I will bring a HUGE bucket to the beach at 3am in the morning!! rolleyes.gif Oh...that's as if I can carry those heavy sand back into the car...hahahaaa~~ laugh.gif

To bring this back to the Canberra context, I wonder whether the sand down at Kambah Pools and places like Shallow Crossing (both on the Murrumbidgee) would be good. It certainly is a lovely light colour. From an environmental perspective, the stuff is actually a hazard to the river system. All the deep holes in the Murrumbidgee were filled upwith the stuff when the Gold mining took off upstream in the 19th Century - it's actually an environmental hazard.

Although I have no doubts on the morality of grabbing the stuff, are there any thoughts on either the suitability or the legality of this? unsure.gif

Cheers

Richard

Richard,

No idea on the legality, but just cause it's the river sooooo damn dirty still from the fires, i'd avoid it from the nasties perspective. and cleaning would be rough too!

i'm gonna have to come and have a look at this 8fter when it's set up too. smile.gif

Grace

Hi guys again~

I've went to that local landscaping supplier to get some sand on last Saturday, and guess what I've bought? I've found Newcastle sand in there for just $5.75 per 40kg!!!! I can't believe it is so cheap in price!! biggrin.gif

BUT, there's no point of me taking 40kg of sand and fill them all into my tank (that would become a sand tank, not a fish tank...hahaha laugh.gif )..so I've asked them for 25kg and it only cost me $2.90!! YEAH~~~ finally, I've washed the sand today and filled around 10+ kg into my 3ft, they look very nice!! hmmm...think will going to start cycling on tomorrow and hope to get some Tangs / Malawi in 3 / 4 weeks time... rolleyes.gif (still haven't decide on what species to keep...)

Cheers,

Heidi

i just filled my tank with bunnings sand. it's not too bad. they seem to love it.

god it was a bad idea to try and do it with them in the tank tho! i had a few fish that were too slow and got a little buried a couple of times unsure.gif

oh well. will post pics soon i guess. i've been meaning to do that for a while.

Grace

Archived