Raising calvus fry

tootie

Any tips on how to successfully raise black calvus fry.

I had a large batch initially and now I'm left with about 10 if I'm lucky. In the last batch I lost the whole lot eventually.

This time I tried two different ways. The first way I put a fry saver (made by Lionel) whihc has an airstone and outlet for water to go back into main tank. I emptied some of the free swimming fry from the female calvus shell into the fry saver. Fed frozen BBS and powdered protein food about 3 times a day. The bottom of the fry saver seemed to get dirty so I siphoned the saver only a couple of times as I'm not sure if I previously siphoned some fry as I found it hard to see. I now have about 2 fry left.

Second way - I emptied some of the free swimming calvus into a fry saver that Matthew made which I have added an airstone to. It's in a one foot tank that I grow out fry in. Fed same as above. Still have about 8 left.

I guess it's all a learning experience so wondering how others raise the fry more successfully?

Thanks.

Shirley

Try putting some small bristlenose in the frysaver with them.Also it's better if you can feed them with live baby brine and at least twice a day until they get some body to them then you can try ground-up flake/pellet.

When I bred comps and calvus I moved all the fry into small 40l tanks and used live daphnia and a sponge filter as filtration.

I fed the daphnia spirulina powder and the alto fry were fed live brine shrimp 2 times a day.

I raised and sold close to 500 fry at 4cm using this method.

Archived