wild caught v tank bred

yowie05

hey guys been out of the scene for a few years now but never even looked at getting wild caught fish b4 and am just curios as to what the differences between buying these would be, besides the water quality. like the colours of wild would be better or worse than tank bred. and any other differences.

thanks in advance

depends on fish and breeder. Alot of line bred fish will actually be better then the wild caught version as they are select bred to show of desirable traits. WC are still good as they bring new blood into the limited gene pool we have here.

Persoanlly if i was to buy a fish i would get wild caught. There fry sell for more and they are not as inbred as the fish we buy on a day to day basis.

I have never wned WC so i cant comment on the water conditions but i have a strong feeling you have to be more precise in water conditions and not just the usual tap water and prime

You don't necessarily need more 'stricter' conditions IMO. You just need to ensure they acclimatise well and then have stable parameters.

Not all WC's will go successfully in any tank so you should be prepared to account for potential losses if you do chose that pathway.

Colour wise you will find WCs tend to bring in more variation (be it desirable or not). Most breeders will unfortunately then limit this as new

generations are bred and distributed.

I think it's probably a good idea to get fry from the WC's as this is a good indication the offspring are well adapted to our hobbyiest water conditions

and food available. Colour wise they tend to be very close to the parents too so your not losing out and save alot of dough by not forking out for their

WC parents.

John

You put a lot of faith in the supplier how do you actually know that the fish are wild caught? Even those tagged as 'German Imports' have a higher price tag! Why? So what if some german hobbyist bred them? they can still use craPe quality blood lines! :)

My rule is simple: research exactly what you are after, have a look around for what is available, if the wild caught quality or imports are exceptional or better than what is locally/readily available and also meets your price point, then get the fish that you want :)

but that proper german bred stuff is worth every cent.

I realise that countries like Germany have less strict importation rules but still, I have seen some pretty poor quality German bred stuff in my time! For fish that I paid nearly $85ea for were even worse quality than those that I had. I'm talking about Aulonacara that I had ages ago. It's a gamble.

All I'm saying is that you shouldn't be dazzled by the label. :roll

I have some wild caught Kitumba. I respect the retailer that I bought them from but I have no idea whether his supplier is honest. Both of us have to put faith in the supplier that he does the right thing.

My fish came with a wild caught label. I viewed them, they were good quality (shape and color) and good size and the price was fair so I bought them. I could have paid less than half for F1s but I liked what I saw and bought it. :)

yeah some fish labeled as german are simply imported to germany from SE asia or whatever, then sent here with a higher pricetag! when all is said and done the german breeders have a certain knack for breeding some amazing fish, its always a gamble if your actually gonna get the good stuff or not tho.

Archived