NLS bucket prices

waruna

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not only i have to pay two and a half months in advance for stock, I have to pay for GST, overseas freight, customs duty and quarantine clearance costs even before i see a single jar!! GST is again added to the retail price. International and local freight is not cheap, to insurer a container is very expensive, then there are more insurance bills locally. Warehousing, packaging, local and interstate transport costs etc etc are also added. And in the states there are no middlemen like me. Another reason is the difference in population numbers compared with the US, their retail markups are smaller compared with AUS. If you've been to US you will know how cheap food is over their. As you can see it's not as simple as it may seems.

Hi Waruna

You have made a few points above and I have a few comments on the cost factors mentioned above

-Why would you not import on a GST deferred basis?

-There would be no import duty since Australia/US have a free trade agreement

-Quarantine fee per item type is $160.00

-GST is not a cost to you and does not compound

-A 20 foot shipping container would cost less than $3,000 from the US if not $2,000. It has been a while...

-Does it not arrive already on pallets and you would freight by the pallet too using road freight to distributors?

-The dollar appreciated by 20% and has remained fairly high over the last few years

-Population size is not an argument as the goods are already manufactured and not for Australians specifically

I am sorry but I can't see an argument for the high price that might relate to the commented factors. The only increase in cost would be middelmen like you have stated and compounding margins.

I have stopped using NLS about two months ago and now use premium aquaculture brands such as INVE. Prior to this move I have used NLS exclusively for 5 years or so.

GST is paid to customs before releasing goods to me.. There are no exceptions. First stop Customs, their clearance and the bill for GST first, then you go to AQIS, once they are happy you go back to customs and pay for GST. In this order, if anyone else is saying otherwise the system has changed since Dec 2011.

You absolutely have no idea how it is packed or shipped to AUS.. And then distributed here, you are taking wild guesses..

Read up how GST is calculated..

Without knowing the weight, place of origin and the time frame for delivery how you got the $2k-$3k figure is beyond me..

Your middlemen comment shows how unrealistic your thinking is..

As i said in my previous reply i'm not here to go through a detailed breakdown of costs.. Simply asking what NLS customers think about bucket prices. Thank you for your input.

I have read this whole debate but to answer your question "Simply asking what NLS customers think about bucket prices." - You can clearly see that people are not happy with the prices of bucket prices.

I have been in the hobby for only 5 years, I do use NLS, although my usage is minimal because of the number of tanks I had to be honest if I had more tanks I would definitely not use it due to price. Will I continue to use NLS, I do prefer other foods to NLS which I also buy but my thinking is I only buy a bucket of quality food for $50kg thats my limit, otherwise i buy something else. If NLS does get more expensive I definitely wont be using this product. We all understand the increase cost of living due at the moment maybe at the present time for hobbyist NLS isnt a viable option, and at the end of the day if you the distributor cant listen to the cry of the consumer there wont be a market for you because the consumer will turn there back on the product.

Another point is that in australia nls is a premium product such as a nice shiny european car compared to a toyota corolla, both do the same thing you have your pros and your cons but at the end of the day its a car, nls is food.

John

• 2 weeks later...

I've been keeping fish for a l o n g t i m e

IMO......NLS isn't like comparing a BMW to a corolla

It's premium food and a complete diet.....I've found fish more colourful,grow quicker and less prone to illness,and they live longer.... since I started using it

To me it's like comparing a well balanced 3 course meal.....to sawdust

Archived