electric blue jack dempseys

killiguy

I was given some of these fish last week,a fish I thought Id never see.Ive been watching discussion about them in TFH magazine for about 10 years.

What Ive figured out so far is:

The electric blue gene is recessive but electric females dont lay viable eggs so a homozygous (2 EB genes the same)male has to be bred with a normal looking but heterozygous (normal gene plus electric gene)female.That will produce 50% EB 50% normal :blink:blink .

I have a dozen or so of his fry(from a normal female) which are all heterozygous.The male below is quite old but I hope to breed him with one of his normal looking daughters.

Has anyone bred these things?any tips??

Crappy pictures but you get the idea --extraordinary blue

IPB Image

IPB Image

you sure hybrid man?

nice fish killi sir!

Alot of discussion around 2002 centered around its origin,hybrid vs mutation.It had DNA testing done(reported in TFH in 2002) which found it to be all Jack Dempsey

The fact if you cross an electric male with a normal female and get all completely normal Dempseys is also evidence of this(confirming recessive inheritance)

I must say its not really my cup of tea,abit of a Frankenfish,but I never look a gift horse in the mouth :thumbup:

On forums we really have to be so careful what fish we call hybrids. AQIS monitors forums, when there is enough speculation about a fish being a hybrid they stop it entering the country.

And this is too bad because this weakens the hobby as a whole.

They were suiccessfully bred bya Melbourne lFS several years ago and distributed round the hobby to dedicated breeders. They are a relatively easy fish to breed.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived