wet/dry filter not going at constant speed

andrew.vid

hi all,

i have just installed a larger sump or wet/dry filter however you want to call it, and it keeps going at different speeds, for about 5 minutes the rotating arm spins slowly then suddenly it starts to speed up and turns like crazy! i thought that whatever output of the pump is thats what will come out? is it normal for it to be changing speed? and is there a way to solve it?

thanks in advance

hi all,

i have just installed a larger sump or wet/dry filter however you want to call it, and it keeps going at different speeds, for about 5 minutes the rotating arm spins slowly then suddenly it starts to speed up and turns like crazy! i thought that whatever output of the pump is thats what will come out? is it normal for it to be changing speed? and is there a way to solve it?

thanks in advance

Just throwing a couple of ideas out there.

-could the intake piping be too small? i.e pump output exceeds draining capacity?

-could there be some occasional air blockage? i.e trapped air manages to escape, then water drains quickly, repeating itself constantly?

HTH

well the intake pipe shouldnt be too small because it is exactly the same as before with the exact same pump, so maybe it could be trapped air, but i would know as i cant see inside the pipe...

you should be able to notice, as you would see the water level in the tanks slowly rising, then draining rather quickly.

If there were no restrictions and sizes are all adequate, then you should have an even input/output as you've mentioned. Unless your pump goes through bursts and your flow is irregular (never heard of this happening though).

is it a single tank set-up? or multiple tanks?

It sounds to me that there may be some blocked holes in the spinning arms. Mine used to do the same thing. I believe that as the water pressure (from the weight of the water) builds it increases flow to the other holes making it spin faster.

If the spinning arms are new then maybe you dont have enough holes in them.

Josh

It sounds to me that there may be some blocked holes in the spinning arms. Mine used to do the same thing. I believe that as the water pressure (from the weight of the water) builds it increases flow to the other holes making it spin faster.

If the spinning arms are new then maybe you dont have enough holes in them.

Josh

thanks for all the replies... and yes josh that was exactly what i was thinking... so its been a day after I've noticed the problem and it seems to be balancing out now, the water level use to rise and drop by around 2cm but now the water level moves only a tiny bit, so it must be evening out.

thanks everyone!

Archived