Opinion on baffle vs wet/dry sumps

Noddy65

Hi all

Im about to get another 6 footer and was going to convert one of my many 2 x 1 x 1 tanks into a sump....in the past Ive used baffle sumps but was wondering if a wet/dry would be better this time

What do others think?

Mike

I think wet/dry are better in terms of oxygenating the water so if you have fish that like highly oxygenated water or don't have airstones etc I would lean that way.

Baffles tend to be so much quiter though which is a big plus to me but then if you already have a lot of wet dries making noise what difference will one more make?

I have only matrix style baffle sumps running these Mike. I find that I can run the sumps at a higher level which to me means less frequent top ups on large systems through evaporation.

cheers

rosco

Mike + one for what rosco said,

ill be running the same type as rosco when my room is complete,

the other good benefits are more water = larger thermal mass

and the extra water also means no2/3 will take longer to accumulate you will have a more stable the water chemistry

use both, have a couple of baffles to hold your filter wool and foam/sponge/jap mat and then have a drip tray section, for coral and matrix,

the bacteria that live in the drip tray section are aerobic and in my opinion are bacteria on steroids compared to anaerobic bacteria which live in the submerged baffle section. for the noise problem have lids on the sump and have a cabinet instead of a open stand.

Thanks everyone

The sump is only a little 2 x 1 x 1 tank....it will be in the fishroom so noise is not really an issue.

I currently use the baffle system in all my exisiting tanks and DO like the extra water volume it gives me.

I wasnt sure if there would be enough space in a 2 x 1 x 1 for a baffle AND wet/dry settup but I might try and squeeze the combo in...I assume one section for the wet/dry, one for submerged baffle media and then the one section for return pump?

Does anyone else use a 2 x 1 x 1 for their sumps?

Mike :)

personal opinion,

i would use a baffle, the way i would justify it....

With the limited space, would matrix or bioballs be more effective? i.e 1x1x1 of bioballs, or 1x1x1 of matrix?

another issue may be if running baffle on a 6fter with a 2x1x1, will there be enough space to hold water if electricity goes off....

HTH

another issue may be if running baffle on a 6fter with a 2x1x1, will there be enough space to hold water if electricity goes off....

HTH

Actually, that is a VERY good point...all my other sumps are on the ground so if theres some overflow its not a big deal...this one will be ON the rack so if theres overflow it WILL be a big deal

Mike

Archived