Enantiopus sp."kelisa"

killiguy

Ive been working with this species for a couple of years now and its one of my all time favorites

A few observations:

They seem best kept alone in a big tank (I have 12 in a 4x2x2)lots of sand and a few rocks.The tank is best at chest level or higher as they are quite flighty

They tolerate big water changes well(I do 50-60%weekly)

The only way they die is jumping out (which they love to do) otherwise very hardy

Breed at 6 months or so and are reliable mothers.I found introducing cyps(or any other fish) in their tank caused breeding to cease.Others breed them in communities

Fry are quite sensitive for the first 6 weeks or so then hardy.Ive found them best raised in large tanks (2 ft for an average brood,20-30)then into a 4x2x18'at 2 months or so for grow out

They eat anything but I feed them BBS once daily as they like to sift it out of the sand.They love black and bloodworms,also NLS pellets

They are more common than they have been,Ive sold 100 or so in the last 6-9 months(sorry no fry just yet,the new generation is just starting to breed)

In general Ive found them much easier to care for than Cyps and dont get the wasting problem of some Tangs

A few pics non breeding male

IPB Image

IPB Image

i keep my group with 17 C.Foae and 6 B.tricoti and a pair of L.speciosis in a 850L tank.

the tank is 900mm off the floor and is 2.1/2 deep . when i kept E.melanogenys 5 odd years ago they jumped.

Kilesa dont even look like jumping in the 2.1/2 tank. never been skitish , in facy in most cases they are trying to breed , even for visitors , they are oblivious to the world out side their tank.

i feed mine on NLS and frozen brine.

old age is another reason they die , especially males around 30 months. females stop breeding regularly after 20 months.

beautiful fish , enjoyable to keep

IPB Image

cheers

Steve Green

i keep my group with 17 C.Foae and 6 B.tricoti and a pair of L.speciosis in a 850L tank.

cheers

Steve Green

How do you go with breeding in the large tank with all those tank mates??Mine were breeding every month like clockwork,them when I added Cyps they stopped for months.After I removed the Cyps they bred in a week

One thing I forgot to mention is that I catch the females and strip them a few hours after lights out.They are easy to catch and it seems to stress them(and me!)much less

never been a problem , when the boy wants to do his thing he gets stuck in.

have bred everything in the tank except B.tricoti

in fact on several occasions ive had all 3 other species breeding with in the same week.

both foae boys have a side of the tank each to excavate and the kilesa boy has 3 spawning sites thru the tank ( at different stages of completion/destruction

tank is a decent size for these guys 6'6 x 2'6 x 2'4

BTW it is KILESA not Kelisa , a kelisa is a dodgy car.

cheers

Steve Green

never been a problem , when the boy wants to do his thing he gets stuck in.

have bred everything in the tank except B.tricoti

in fact on several occasions ive had all 3 other species breeding with in the same week.

both foae boys have a side of the tank each to excavate and the kilesa boy has 3 spawning sites thru the tank ( at different stages of completion/destruction

tank is a decent size for these guys 6'6 x 2'6 x 2'4

BTW it is KILESA not Kelisa , a kelisa is a dodgy car.

cheers

Steve Green

Sounds like a fabulous tank,I have C.Furcifer "ndole"but in their own tank

Yes sorry I did spell it wrong :(

Archived