Taking photos

Lurker

Can anyone give me some tips on taking pics of your fish. I have a decent camera but get bad results taking pics of the tanks

Avoiding flash on glass or fish, and lighting kind of tips. Do you use Macro setting? Any tips really.

Thanks, Dave

-i find that taking photos close to glass eliminates reflection.

-if your lighting is poor, you will probably need to use flash (use low flash setting)

-if your lighting is quite strong, you could probably get away with the flash turned off.

- i find using flash either over-exposes the photo or casts a yellow light which is not good for the crystal clear/blue look.

just takes heaps and heaps of pics using differnt setting and you will work out what works well for your camera.

hth

Harry

Harry's suggestions are all good ones.

The main thing is to be patient and take lots of photos - even if you've learnt all the tricks there's still a lot of variables that go into making a good photo........and with fish a lot of it's luck! Oh, and by lots of photos, I mean take hundreds of them - that's the beauty of digital - you can go nuts and just delete the bad ones.

Don't forget to have squeaky clean glass! If there's algae or smudges on the glass it not only ruins the shot but sometimes (esp. with macro) the camera will focus on a blemish on the glass instead of on the fish, so the fish is out of focus.

The fish are probably going to get scared by any glass cleaning efforts and won't look their best until they've had some time to get over the stress of it - so clean the glass etc. the day before you take the photos.

HTH

Cheers,

Jess

Archived