Borneo Sucker fish

Adam_J

Hi Adam

I looked into getting these some time back because I wanted something to replace the bristlenose catfish I had at the time, but also because they look great. Unfortunately they were not going to suit my conditions, that being hard water with African Cichlids.

I have read though, that in Borneo they can come from a range of water conditions. From hard to soft water. But, the guy at the LFS told me they would not suit hard water (and would acclimatize to it either). Also be aware that they need highly aerated water and they don't like it to be too warm. They also appreciate a rapid water flow rate. I don't know if there are that many cichlids that would appreciate a tank specifically set up for borneo suckers?

By the way, I have tried other curiosities like bumble bee gobies in my tank. The gobies went well, but I have lost most because they seem to get stuck behind or in all sorts of odd places. I have one left that has survived for atleast six months and that's probably because it has a little territory on top of a rock and doesn't stray that far from it.

I seen one of these in the LFS today , first time i have ever heard or seen of them... anyone have much to do with these little suckers :lol2:

they look like little stingrays lol...

I had some years ago and could never keep them alive.

They are awesome in a sand bottom. They bury themselves in the sand and just there eyes stick out.

They love fast water and lots of air like has been said

as previous 2 posts already mentioned, but also according to literature they prefer more temperate waters... from experience, I currently have one outside the porch with robertsonis, small GT, rainbows and balzanii, in an unheated tank, since December, so water temp has varied from as high as 29, to as low as 15, with moderate hardness and the little thing still kicking (i did lose his little friend earlier in the year, but i can't remember what of, high temperature i think)... they are shy little things that love to eat micro filamentous algae off the glass - you can see him always rasping at it.... i wouldn't put him with cichlids, unless of course the borneo sucker was there first, and the cichlids are of a mild nature.... if you look at them closely, bodyshape wise, you would notice how much they would prefer a riverine environment, but my tank is hardly a high flow set-up, so they are very forgiving.

there are a few different species of "Hill stream Loaches"

and they do like lower temps and well oxygenated water

similar conditions to Mountain White Clouds

would make a nice unheated small tank set up :yes:

with some large river stones, a spindley piece of wood

and some Val and Elodea

Chris

Archived