Conditioning Limnochromis auritus ?

Pilly

I have recently picked up 2 adult pairs (Vent sexed) of these beautiful but skittish fish.

There is a real lack of info in cyber space about these, so the question is...

What do i need to do to get these to spawn. (Just time i assume, but i may have overlooked something)

ATM they are housed in a 2x2x2 cube but can be moved to a standard 4 if needed

They dig constantly and seem to make bowers like some other tangs.

They are fead NLS daily with alternate feedings of Green prawn, White worms and wriglers (which they love) so they have atleast some meaty foods in their diet daily.

The females seem to be in condition but no interest from the males.

They are in a high traffic area but only seem skittish when the tank is aproached closely.

PH 8.6

Temp 24-26

Filtration is a large sponge and internal 1800l/h

25% weekly water change.

I actually spawned mine in a standard 4ft tank there were 7 in the tank with a pvc pipe about 45cm long and blocked 1 end with a rock also had other rocks leaning against the pie for hidey holes.

They are very light sensitive and prefer a dark tank then just be patient and let nature take its course.

I have 8 adults living in a 4ft tank, they have spawned a few times now, it just takes time, plenty of sand for them to dig and long pvc pipes closed at one end, also terracotta pipes are good as well. As stated above, mingle these in with rocks. I even have some long floating plastic plants to keep areas darker for them. They tend to dig the sand up to a peak on the front of the glass, and cover their pipes with the sand as well, they love their privacy and need to feel secure. I also feed mine brines as well as NLS. I did a write up on them on my website some time ago. Its on www.cichlids.net.au so that may be of some help to you also.

Thanks guys, ill move them to a 4ft and give them more sand, rocks and longer pipes. This tank is also darker than the 2 cube.

They seem to have paired off as they spend alot of time together as pairs and only really school when they are startled.

I think the caves i have provided may not be deep enough. :thumb

Hey,

Have a few of these myself and was wonderring if the caves I have were big enough for them...

I have a heap of 10cm diameter terracotta pots standing on end with small access cutouts. They go in and out quite a bit but have not bred yet. I was thinking maybe they are too small for them. What size cave would you guys recommend?

Also, am interested in the pvc pipe caves too. 45cm is a long pipe! what diameter is that?

Do the fish need to turn and move about within the cave or should they be tight and cosy within?

Have noticed a few pairs forming also - even some herding others away from one end of the tank.

As for conditioning, I like to give all my fish brine shrimp or bloodworm irregularly to try and trigger spawning... not much of that going on at the moment though :no: They are regularly fed NLS Thera A.

Hope they spawn for you.

Cheers

Joel

yeh long tubes closed at one end, they only need to be large enough in diameter for one fish to enter at a time, they usually back out, so they dont need space to turn around. During the spawning process they will take it in turns of entering the tube.

Hey,

Have a few of these myself and was wonderring if the caves I have were big enough for them...

I have a heap of 10cm diameter terracotta pots standing on end with small access cutouts. They go in and out quite a bit but have not bred yet. I was thinking maybe they are too small for them. What size cave would you guys recommend?

Also, am interested in the pvc pipe caves too. 45cm is a long pipe! what diameter is that?

Do the fish need to turn and move about within the cave or should they be tight and cosy within?

Have noticed a few pairs forming also - even some herding others away from one end of the tank.

As for conditioning, I like to give all my fish brine shrimp or bloodworm irregularly to try and trigger spawning... not much of that going on at the moment though :no: They are regularly fed NLS Thera A.

Hope they spawn for you.

Cheers

Joel

my pipe was 25mm white pvc and were fed on prestige pellet food only

I concur with the above.Sand and big pipes for them to breed in(which you can fill with sand to allow them to dig in),in nature they dig into the the sides of sandbanks to make nests.

If you get them to spawn have large tanks for raising they have huge spawns.

I have at least 200 from the one spawn,which are likely to be difficult to move given they are not the most beautiful Tang (I think they have a lot of subtle beauty and are very peaceful)

I have recently picked up 2 adult pairs (Vent sexed) of these beautiful but skittish fish.

There is a real lack of info in cyber space about these, so the question is...

What do i need to do to get these to spawn. (Just time i assume, but i may have overlooked something)

ATM they are housed in a 2x2x2 cube but can be moved to a standard 4 if needed

They dig constantly and seem to make bowers like some other tangs.

They are fead NLS daily with alternate feedings of Green prawn, White worms and wriglers (which they love) so they have atleast some meaty foods in their diet daily.

The females seem to be in condition but no interest from the males.

They are in a high traffic area but only seem skittish when the tank is aproached closely.

PH 8.6

Temp 24-26

Filtration is a large sponge and internal 1800l/h

25% weekly water change.

i found that isolating pairs with caves,with holes just big enough for to fit into gets good results

Archived