Posting FISH!?

kcfongie

Alright,...

I need a wholesome guide on how to post fish between Canberra to Sydney CBD.

Things need to cover:

- How many fish a bag

- How much water in the bag

- What fish bag should i use

- Where to get the styrafoam boxes

- What courier service should i use

Anyone who has successfully posted mbuna in the past. please share your experience!

thX!

regards.

kc.

This is how I send fish/corals overnight:

- How many fish a bag - 1

- How much water in the bag - 1/3 - dont forget to use oxygen as well. I use med grade.

- What fish bag should i use - depends on the fish size, double bag them though.

- Where to get the styrafoam boxes - fish mongers or green grocers, must be airline seafood approved. Or go to Jems, Im sure they have a spare one or a hundred.

- What courier service should i use - AAE/Toll/Fastway

HTH

Aaron

How long is a piece of string?

There are no hard and fast rules to some those questions.

- How many fish a bag

How big are the fish? How aggressive is the species? How big are the bags? How long is the journey?

- How much water in the bag

Not too little that the fish can't move. Not too much that there is no room for air.

- What fish bag should i use

Get bags with rounded corners, or fold and tape the corners so fish don't wedge in there.

- Where to get the styrafoam boxes

Your LFS might have some. Grocery stores get fresh produce in styrofoam boxes, but they aren't so good for shipping.

- What courier service should i use

Whichever one is cheapest but still guarantees a minimal time door to door.

If you use the search function, I'm sure there has been some really good info in regards to packing fish for the 20+ hours they will spend in bags on a major auction day.

The NSW Cichlid Society usually distributes a pretty nifty "how to" pamphlet around auction time too - maybe someone can scan and upload that. (It has probably been posted in the archives some time or other as well)

I'm posting 20xdemasoni which are about 4cm average.

They are still young,.. so not too aggressive.

- How many fish a bag - 1

- Where to get the styrafoam boxes - fish mongers or green grocers, must be airline seafood approved. Or go to Jems, Im sure they have a spare one or a hundred.

1 fish a bag seems alot. I was hoping 3~4 fish a bag.

Maybe i can put the meaner looking ones to themselves, but the smaller ones 3 in a bag?

When you say Jems you mean Jem Aquatic? I've never tried asking but will do so soon.

The journey will be from Canberra to Sydney. I guess its kinda short journey.

Med grade oxygen? Do you think the LFS will have these as well?

What about fish bags? LFS too?

What about temperature? Posting with current weather would be fine?

haha, very very new to posting fish. I normally just have people coming over with buckets.

I think this is going to be a challenge to pull off. :B

I would go one fish per bag at that size. That may be nice and friendly in a tank, but once they get into them bags they will fight for space.

Maybe if you ask laurie or rosco nicley they could bring them to the sydney meeting in August. I am pretty sure they will be there for that...

Josh

Back in my day.... (haha, I get to say that now right?)

I would probably have bagged somewhere in the vicinity of 100 demasoni at 3-4cm per box, for a flight from Sydney to Brisbane. (Bag time totalling ~ 6 hours.) 6 bags per box, so you're looking at 15-20 fish per medium-large bag for that trip.

I believe a couple of times I had 150+ in a box. (Because the buyer didn't want to pay shipping on 2 boxes - so they would have worn any consequences)

Probably around 20% water and 80% compressed "air" was my ratio. (Slightly more water when I put more fish per bag)

To the best of my knowledge - didn't lose any.

But I must have been doing it wrong? Bagging 1 fish per bag (in little bags?) would have taken me all week.

Take a look at how fish look when they come in from a wholesaler to your LFS. Then, don't pack them quite that full as even I think it's a bit ridiculous sometimes.

With that many fish in a bag, in a dark box, I don't think any fish will be singled out and beaten up assuming they are all in good health (well that's my personal belief/experience)

I would definitely never have bagged 2-3 fish per bag though, as I suspect in that situation - weak fish would have got a kicking, and even strong fish would end up tattered.

The key really is to make sure the fish is purged (24 hours would be ok for young fishes metabolisms) and to add a drop of Prime to neutralise any ammonia excreted during the trip.

I post tropheus out on a regular basis, this is the process i use,

I will do a water change on the tank 2 days before posting, i always use pre-aged water.

They will not be fed the day before posting or the morning of transport.

I buy gusseted square bags, so there is no need to worry about taping up the corners.

I use a medium sized bag and can fit 12 bags into a poly box. If there are any gaps i use a few bags filled with air, so the box is tightly packed to minimize movement during transport.

You can line the box with newspaper for added insulation. I do double bags and get all the bags ready in a poly box, then i fill each bag with water to what will measure a little less than a third once the bag is tied up, I do this before catching any fish so that the water is not yet stirred up. I buy dissolving airstone from the aquarium and break off a small piece to go in each bag. I will place anywhere from 2 up to 4 fish of 4cm in size, in each bag depending on the size of the order. I then fill each bag with compressed air and tie them up. This time of year its quite cold in victoria, so i will place a small heat pack wrapped in newspaper (just warmed up a little bit) at the top of the box. I place the lid on the box and tape it up firmly, then i place live fish stickers on the top and sides of the box.

Drive to AAE at the airport, once they have processed the order, i phone the consignment note number to the receiving person along with the flight number and expected time of arrival.

so...

damn,...

com...

pli...

ca....

ted....

What i might do:

1) Packing plan:

- Buy a large fish bag that will hold all 20 fish. double bagged.

- Styrafoam box

- packing foam to fill up the gap.

2) FIll with water from aquarium, put in fish, a pinch of seachem safe.

3) on the way to post it, i'll drop by LFS to fill it up with air,...

4) send it off.

its going to sydney,.. so hopefully temp won't be a problem if it doesn't stay somewhere cold overnight.

if it gets any more complicated,... i'll probably just giv up.

I place the lid on the box and tape it up firmly, then i place live fish stickers on the top and sides of the box.

Drive to AAE at the airport, once they have processed the order, i phone the consignment note number to the receiving person along with the flight number and expected time of arrival.

Hang on, what fish stickers?

oh... reading up more... i found out i need to buy Fastway stickers up front.

In booklets too...

What if i want to do a one time delivery. what is my best option?

zzz,.. also, where do i buy fish bags.

I tried to google "fish bag", but all i get is "FISH IN A BAG RECIPE! DELICIOUS!"

I'm visualizing doing it,.. and i'm tired already. lol

I print out my own stickers, but they also put perishable stickers on the box at the AAE depot.

AAE which is Australian air express is your best bet for a one off trip, as you dont need an account, you will however probably have to drive to the airport depot.

Most aquariums will sell you a hand full of bags.

have a look at these two links below with good details for what you need to know regard shipping fish in Australia

http://auscichlids.com/forum/index.php?topic=347.0

and

http://tropheusfanatics.invisionzone.com/i...reightprocedure

First link show great discussion regarding the in and out of shipping fishes, quite entertaining to read in some part! The last post on the thread from Anchar was a good one. It has bassically sump up what you need to know!

Second article, beautifully done with pics by Mick (trofius) from Rockhampton! Great bloke...!

KC,

Go see the guys at the shop in belconnen in oatly court or the other shop in QBN crawford street they may charge you a small fee but if you watch how they do it just copy them next time.

Failing that come see me at the next CDAS meeting and ill talk you through what i used to do, i may even be able to deliver them to the major auction in sydney on the 2nd of OCT.

thanks

Alex

Thx Alex!

I guess its worth learning how to post fish if i'm into this for the long term.

The # of tanks will only increase over the years i suppose, and with that the # of fish i will have, and the babies. haha.

I'll talk to you when i do go to the CDAS meeting. Its difficult time for me to make it so i've never showed myself there though joined in early in the year.

KC.

Archived