Satanoperca cf. leucosticta

Mattzilla

My Leucos spawned tonight for the first time (WOOOT)

It almost didn't happen really but by chance it did. I have had 8 adult leucos all sharing a 4x18x18 and 2 of them have paired up and over the last few days showed signs of wanting to spawn. i thought they still had a few days before spawning but just in case i gave their tank a clean today and removed a huge piece of planted driftwood so i could put a divider in for the pair to have some privacy. Well that sounds easier than it was!

i knew which one the female was because her tube was down a fair bit so i had her sorted. next job was trying to find the exact male she was paired with because a few males where bidding for her attention. This meant 3 males had tubes slightly down. I picked the one i thought it was.... but i was wrong!

after a couple of hours and to my surprise the female started laying but the male wasn't interested. i looked on the other side of the divider and one particular male's tube was way down so i did the quick switch-aroony and swapped the males. The whole time the female was still laying. luckily the new male went straight to work so fingers crossed it is a successful spawn.

Here is the female spawning by herself:

IPB Image

and then with the right male:

IPB Image

Here are some of the other adult leucos... just random shots

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I took a quick video of them spawning... just waiting for YouTube to clear it. i'll post it then.

fingers crossed they get it right!

Cheers

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, i'll let you know when they are ready to go. Will be about 3 months if all goes well

here are some updated vids i took today. I've managed to snatch about 3/4 of the fry but these last few are proving very difficult to net. the parents have figured me out and even with a running surprise attack i only manage to get 1 or 2 at best each time.

they are excellent parents both sharing the role when mouth brooding and very protective of their fry

cheers

matt

:clap My wifey loved the vids so much she watched them a couple of times each :thumbup: Its the first time i have seen her excited over fish in a long time... I enjoyed them also. What did you shoot the vids on? they were quite clear.

• 10 years later...