My fishroom extension has begun

rosco

rosco regarding heating bottom tanks have you thought about laying a rubber linning on the conrete floor that should of been alot of help proventing the cold coming up from the concrete as for humitity ?

where did you get your batts from?

how much is the linning you are using? blue board?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Craig. ATM I am have 25 tanks (I have just shut down 6 as part of this rebuild) including the house tanks with another 18 to setup in the new improved room. It isn't too bad it ias around 3 hours a week fo rthe fish room and around 2 for the house tanks.

Foti, the bottom tanks are off the ground and insulated with 10mm foam I would have to heat the room to 30+ degrees to get the bottom tanks up but then the other tanks will temps will sky rocket. I have an oil filled electric heater to heat the room so I use electricity. I just got the batts from magnet mart and blue fromt here as well. I think blue is around $25 a sheet and theR! wall sarking was around $90 for large roll.

cheers

rosco

Gday my fish room is a single garage i dont use heaters anymore i found out about a diesel heater witch are use in caravans , the only power it needs its from a 12 volt battery witch i use a battery charger to recharge the battery , at the moment to heat up all my 50 tanks at 26c its costing me $50 every 2 weeks thats with -2 c during the night and i dont have limits of how many tanks i run.

Cheers

Zigzagfish

All the tanks in my current room are 8 tanks plumbed together (2 6x2x18's the 6 2x18x18's beneath them )so only the ground level tanks miss out as the sump is not big enough.

In the new setup I will 4 extra 3x18x18 matrix sumps (I will split the existing system in half so I can get better through put), and I should have the capacity to plumb the lowest level tanks that along with a lot better insulation I hope to reduce the heaters. BTW I forgot to mention that I have camping rubber matting squares that snap togther and marine grade carpet strips so the floor is a not that cold

Chris - the thermostatically controlled powerpoint that heater is currently connected to, is a double, so I have connected and installed a wall fan so when the heater goes off so does the fan. So in theory the heat is distributed.

Oh and I just finished priming the outside of the blue board with a 3 in 1 external primer. Tomorrow I get to rip out the circular saw and finish framing the inside of the room and ceiling to get it ready for insulation.

cheers

On the other side of that wall is this (my current wall

IPB Image

I call BullDust!!!! IPB ImageI've been in your room numerous times and the room in that photo is far too neat and tidy to be your room. Must be someone elses

IPB Image

HMMM I have been caught out. Yeah this piccie was about 4 years ago, but at least I have evidence that it was clean at some time LOL.

cheers

Rosco

• 1 month later...

I will take some more photos tonight maybe. Laurie came over and we did a wall bashing excercise and we managed to get 1/3 of the wall down. Whoever built the wall definitely did it as an after though as the wall was not connect in any way to roof or side pillars. The wall was totally free standing and I am sure that they put it together with some form of super concrete and not mortar. We used a pretty serious percussion drill and in parts the concrete bricks were breaking before the mortar. :blink .

It certainly looks like I will have a fair bit of room now although I am not sure if it will every be enough :lol4: . Judging on how long it has taken to demolish thus far, I believe that I have around 8-10 hours of work still to do. I will post piccies as soon as I can.

Cheers

rosco

Here we go here. Here are some progress shots from the last 2 weekends hard slog (3 rounds). Apparently the builder of this wall didn't believe that mortar would do the job so he used concrete instead. The bricks are breaking up before before the so called mortar.

These were my weapons of choice plus a percussion drill not shown (thanks Laurie that has been a god send)

IPB Image

Since then I have done this myself.

Laurie helped with round 1 and we managed to get down this wall. This is what were were faced with on the 15th.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

This is the result of our destruction

IPB Image

IPB Image

This was round 2 and 3 with just me:

IPB Image

IPB Image

I hope to hook into what is left of the wall today and finish by the end of the week. I have the next week off and the sparky is booked for the 14th so I need the way clear for him.

cheers

rosco

just an update that damn wall is off the reservation..... Only the fibre cement that has the thermostat remains as I would prefer not to muck around with that.

cheers

Rosco

• 3 weeks later...

Well the sparky is in as I Type. He has run a 40amp line back to the mainboard. He is currently running the cabling in the room for 1 R/C unit, 2 powers and 2 lights all earth leakage safety switches. One of the light circuits will be timed and have 4 double powerpoints and the overhead lights attached. 1 of the power will have my existing theromostat until I get the RC replacement then it will become normal power. Once I put the boards up he will come back and replace the mainboard (it is a dodgy fuse wire setup). It is going to cost me a motza but at least it done properly this time.

I reckon I will to sell 2.5m of electric yellows @ $1cm to recover this expenditure. hysterical[1].gif

cheers

Rosco

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Well the sparky has come past and run the wiring and the following are some photos of the various areas he has wired up.

The light switch (which will have a timer on)

IPB Image

The middle of the room (4 power points and 2 light timer controlled power points

IPB Image

The end wall with 3 power points, 1 light timed one and R/C circuit at the top.

IPB Image

Where the mess of wires join for a sub-board (1 R/c 2 power and 2 light circuits)

IPB Image

The full view of what I in the way of space.

IPB Image

Pre ceiling install

IPB Image

IPB Image

post ceiling install

IPB Image

IPB Image

Since he has come past I have gotten up the wall boards to cover it all up, purchase the light timer, lights and power points. Here are some photos of my recent work.

IPB Image

IPB Image

this is the state of my carport as of a few days ago, Mrs rosco is not happy at all.

IPB Image

Finally this is the rubble pile I created after I knocked the wall down.

IPB Image

cheers

rosco

• 1 month later...

well the sparky is in da house and wiring up my powerpoints, 3 x 4' lights, light timers, sub-board (with earth leakage switches) and isolating my fishroom from the main house circuits. He has done 2 hours work now he is fitting the subboard it think it might be time re mortagage my house ROFL . Hopefully by the ened of the month I will start getting my carport back yeah haaaaa.

I will get some progress photos up shortly.

cheers

rosco

I will get some progress photos up shortly.

cheers

rosco

Rosco what a great post also photo coverage of the progress

:clap:clap

i may of missed it but how many tanks will fit in the total space ? compered to pre construction?

and how many msq is you new fishroom ?

thanks for that.

I believe I had 20-22 tanks previously in a very squished space. The new space should contain another 18 tanks (4x18x18's and 3x18x18's mainly) so around 40 in total. I may try and squeeze some more in but I do want so sit down and enjoy space and some place where I can do all my fish bagging on a small table. As to square metres, I think the footprint of the room is 5.5 -6 metres by 3.5-4 metres so I guess 19-24 sqm

cheers

rosco

Here you go Chris some photos I finally moved off the Camera.

This is the hard wired light time, normal power point and extra override light switch. I have gotten the sparky to hard wire several power point into the timer but didn't do the overhead lights. When he comes back I might get him to do that as well it was a bit of an over sight.

IPB Image

This is the hard wired Thermo stat that controls the power point below and subsquently turns the wall fan and oil filled heater on when the temp drops below 24.

IPB Image

This is the far wall that has one timed light power point and 3 normal power points. The cable is where the R/C will be connected once I get enough cash (and permission) for it.

IPB Image

This is one of the 3 "light timed" power point that I will use for aquarium lights

IPB Image

This is the dodgy old fuse wire sub-board that was installed in the room years ago and I have used for the life of the room.

IPB Image

This is the fancy smancy replacement with earth leakage safety switches

IPB Image

The light timer

IPB Image

The old location of the sub-board which has been replaced by JBox. The tank that was there is 6x2x18 which will go back but I will redo the plumbing before ti goes back to separate the racks into 2 systems to improve the filtration capability and throughput

IPB Image

this the the full overhead lighting layout with 5x4' lights and 1x5' light

IPB Image

that is all for now I will put some more up when I have painted etc. hopefully it won't cost much more as my car just blew up and I need tobuy a replacement.

cheers

rosco

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Progress has been slow mainly due to time and committing some funds to a mid life crisis car. :lol4: All I have really done is complete a lot of small things like securing the final sheeting, sealing the gaps and undercoating the new area

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I still have add the treated pine cornice look alike, paint the room, run the airline around the room, lower the height of the stands, clean the tanks and then I can consider firing up some tanks. I have been given permission to add the R/C inverter into the room today so that is on the to do list.

cheers

rosco

Looking good Rosco, you'll actually be able to swing a cat in there.

I have been given permission to add the R/C inverter into the room today so that is on the to do list.

What's Mrs Rosco going to call the new horse?

Looking good Rosco, you'll actually be able to swing a cat in there.

I have been given permission to add the R/C inverter into the room today so that is on the to do list.

What's Mrs Rosco going to call the new horse?

mate forget the cat ii think it needs another rack down the middle :) I got a couple of spare racks if you need any

Archived