Jaguar cichlid M or F?

steje008

IPB Image

Sorry if this pic doesn't work im only new to this!

Can anyone tell me if they think this is a Male or Female Jag? I think its a male....

If so im looking to buy a female of roughly the same size to breed with, if someone has one in Adelaide let me know!

Cheers

thanks mate appreciate it, so do all females look as white as this one?

females generally have less patterning, but they wont always be white. heres a few pics of some of my old ones for contrast.

IPB Image

IPB Image

my current female

IPB Image

a female with a good pattern produces fry of a high quality, but theyre harder to sex. if youre not confident in sexing them id look for one with less patterning.

Thanks heaps for your help, ive been looking around and i think ive found a female jag as it looks like the ones in your pics. however it is only about 10cm and will be attacked if i put it in with the male so i have it in another tank untill it grows.

have you had trouble breeding them or is it pretty simple? id love to find a bigger female but they dont exist in SA lol

the most important thing to do is to reinforce the divider so the male cant break through. and never take it out, no matter how well they seem to be going together, or even if they have fry. theres not a central keeper alive who doesnt have a "but they were doing so well together" story up their sleeve. only remove it when you remove the female. :thumb

bread crates also make excellent dividers. i actually prefer them

Archived