New Life Spectrum or Tetra Colorbits?

ChrisNorris

Once again RD,

I'm talking about a line of food with approx 15 yrs yrs behind it, with some of the most serious & dedicated aquarists in the world that have used it successfully for many years, not just a few months.

- Well Rome wasn't built in a day so the saying goes!

I too can post details of various ingredients, infact anyone can that has the first idea of how to use Google etc.

For example:

KELP MEAL/FLOUR WHAT IS IT?

Ascophyllum Nodosum seaweed, commonly known as Norwegian Kelp, Common wrack or Rockweed, is a brown seaweed which grows along the North Atlantic shorelines of Canada and Europe.

Acadian Seaplants harvests the seaweed off the cold, clean coast of Nova Scotia, Canada and processes it under rigorous quality control standards to preserve the maximum benefits of the live seaweed.

As this ia a 100% natural product, the typical analysis may vary due to variations in the seaweed.

Typical Analysis (Approximate %)

- Moisture - 12.0%

- Crude Protien - 6.0%

- Crude Fiber - 6.0%

- Ash (Minerals) - 22.0%

- Fat - 2.0%

- Carbohydrates - 52.0%

- TOTAL - 100%

Minerals

- Aluminium 20 - 100 ppm

- Arsenic - <3 pmm

- Barium - 15 - 50 pmm

- Beryllium - <1 pmm

- Boron - 0 - 100 ppm

- Cadnium - <1 ppm

- Calcium - 1.0 - 3.0%

- Chlorine - 1.0 - 3.0%

- Chromium - <1 ppm

- Cobalt - 1 - 10 ppm

- Copper - 4 - 15 ppm

- Iodine - <1000 ppm

- Iron - 150 - 1000 ppm

- Lead - <1 ppm

- Magnesium - 0.5 - 1.0%

- Manganese - 10 - 50 ppm

- Mercury - <001 ppm

- Molybdenum - <1 ppm

- Nickel - 1 - 5 ppm

- Nitrogen - 0.6 - 2.0%

- Phosphorus - 0.1 - 0.2%

- Potassium - 2.0 - 3.0%

- Selenium - 3 - 4 ppm

- Sodium - 2.4 - 4.0%

- Strontium - 100 - 200 ppm

- Sulphur - 2.0 - 2.3%

- Tin - <10 ppm

- Titanium - 3 - 6 ppm

- Vanadium - - 5 ppm

- Zinc - 35 - 100 ppm

etc. etc. etc.

as for

While I have absolutely no issue with anyone who wants to support a local product, you might be better served by choosing your battles a bit more carefully, than jumping into discussions such as this one & comparing it's quality with a product such as New Life.

I have used the NLS product range and find it no better or worse than the Prestige products. [ :yes: Infact I have even sold NLS]

I have at no stage stated that either product is better than the other and being a dedicated fish keeper/breeder it is my right to voice my opinion.

If this is not the case, then why the hell do people bother posting on discussion boards at all?

In a nut shell I will say, Do fish read the ingredients or do they eat the food, this is the only fact that I and I am sure others are interested in. :dntknw:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again RD,

I'm talking about a line of food with approx 15 yrs yrs behind it, with some of the most serious & dedicated aquarists in the world that have used it successfully for many years, not just a few months.

- Well Rome wasn't built in a day so the saying goes!

I too can post details of various ingredients, infact anyone can that has the first idea of how to use Google etc.

For example:

KELP MEAL/FLOUR WHAT IS IT?

Ascophyllum Nodosum seaweed, commonly known as Norwegian Kelp, Common wrack or Rockweed, is a brown seaweed which grows along the North Atlantic shorelines of Canada and Europe.

Acadian Seaplants harvests the seaweed off the cold, clean coast of Nova Scotia, Canada and processes it under rigorous quality control standards to preserve the maximum benefits of the live seaweed.

As this ia a 100% natural product, the typical analysis may vary due to variations in the seaweed.

Typical Analysis (Approximate %)

- Moisture - 12.0%

- Crude Protien - 6.0%

- Crude Fiber - 6.0%

- Ash (Minerals) - 22.0%

- Fat - 2.0%

- Carbohydrates - 52.0%

- TOTAL - 100%

Minerals

- Aluminium 20 - 100 ppm

- Arsenic - <3 pmm

- Barium - 15 - 50 pmm

- Beryllium - <1 pmm

- Boron - 0 - 100 ppm

- Cadnium - <1 ppm

- Calcium - 1.0 - 3.0%

- Chlorine - 1.0 - 3.0%

- Chromium - <1 ppm

- Cobalt - 1 - 10 ppm

- Copper - 4 - 15 ppm

- Iodine - <1000 ppm

- Iron - 150 - 1000 ppm

- Lead - <1 ppm

- Magnesium - 0.5 - 1.0%

- Manganese - 10 - 50 ppm

- Mercury - <001 ppm

- Molybdenum - <1 ppm

- Nickel - 1 - 5 ppm

- Nitrogen - 0.6 - 2.0%

- Phosphorus - 0.1 - 0.2%

- Potassium - 2.0 - 3.0%

- Selenium - 3 - 4 ppm

- Sodium - 2.4 - 4.0%

- Strontium - 100 - 200 ppm

- Sulphur - 2.0 - 2.3%

- Tin - <10 ppm

- Titanium - 3 - 6 ppm

- Vanadium - - 5 ppm

- Zinc - 35 - 100 ppm

etc. etc. etc.

as for

While I have absolutely no issue with anyone who wants to support a local product, you might be better served by choosing your battles a bit more carefully, than jumping into discussions such as this one & comparing it's quality with a product such as New Life.

I have used the NLS product range and find it no better or worse than the Prestige products. [ :yes: Infact I have even sold NLS]

I have at no stage stated that either product is better than the other and being a dedicated fish keeper/breeder it is my right to voice my opinion.

If this is not the case, then why the hell do people bother posting on discussion boards at all?

In a nut shell I will say, Do fish read the ingredients or do they eat the food, this is the only fact that I and I am sure others are interested in. :dntknw:

Well I have learnt something Day Thanks for sharing the information

I would like to say I have used NLS,HBH,OSI,HIKARI, SERA Flora all in the past

all products are good and all are equal in my opinion

I have started using Prestige about 5 months ago and couldnt be happier Quality x Value

equals happy customer equals happy fish

I will also state if anyone is happy with there current food dont switch based on my comments or anyone elses trial for yourselves

Aussie Aussie Aussie oi oi oi

Craig

Even as the initial release formula, this is the product that is going to knock NLS off it's feet?

Are you freaking kidding me?

Who has ever said this no one from the prestige camp. No need for this statement.

no generic fish meal made up from processing plant waste)
How do you know this is the source of the fish meal we have excellent quality seafood industry here in Australia.

So far all I've seen is a lot of huffin & puffin .......
Mate really no need for personal attacks. Sorry but this has really turned me off.

What is the point if you are going to rubbish something. No one has ever stated this product is better than nls or vice a versa from our point of view anyway. But we have said it is up there with spectrum and believe from results feeding our fish are showing that. I also had wasting in my yellows and a few labidochromis species. And all they wre getting fed was nls. I am not saying in any way shape or form it was caused by nls because there is a hundred different reasons for this problem.

But in noticing from the onset of feeding some of the yellows with prestige the wasting has slowed in some even puting condition back on. Once again I am not stating that either of these products have caused or reversed wasting I have just noticed it.

All I am saying to anybody reading this is make your own mind up give it a try it is not going to hurt A lot of people out there feed multiple brands any way.

I was breeding fish for 30 + years before prestige arrived and have tried every kind of food there is available, I have set up a large 90 tank fish room. The reason I took up the prestige food tiral for myself was for the fact I plan on producing the best quality fish out there and if I could find a home grown product to do it I would. Which is my goal in this industry. I was happy with nls but was willing to give another food a go. I did and I was so wrapped with it when the qld distributorship came up I took it on and trust me there is no harder place than Qld to try and get a new product to sell. But I believe in this product from the results and behaviour in my fish I will make this range of products my main food for my fish room.

Excellent.

Well this thread has run its full course, being that we have a full list of ingredients of 2 leading fish foods, some direct accounts of users of both foods and a bit of background info on the pet food industry.

Im going to close this thread here on account of there is nothing further of use that can be added. Feel welcome to PM me if you feel there is something else you feel needs to be addressed.

R.D has asked that this peice of information be submitted to this thread.

One thing that I was wanting to touch on, because I do feel that it is very important that hobbyists understand what the long term results can be from feeding foods with high inclusion rates of soybean meal.

http://www.uoguelph.ca/research/publicatio...nutrition3.html

Soybean meal (SBM). Although SBM is already a part of some fish diets, its use is also limited. It's generally kept to less than 20 per cent of the feed because at higher levels, fish reduce food intake, and their growth slows. High levels of SBM also damage the animals' intestinal cells. Bureau believes those effects may be caused by the presence of naturally occurring compounds called saponins in the SBM. He's monitoring fish fed a diet high in soya saponin to evaluate the exact effects; if saponins are proven responsible for the problems, he believes geneticists may be able to breed soybeans with little or no saponins that could be used to develop feeds. A soybean concentrate that does not include saponins and is eaten more readily by fish already exists, but the cost of the extraction process makes it quite expensive.

While some of these anti-nutritional factors can be reduced via various processing methods, totally eliminating them can be quite tricky, and of course the risk is always present. As stated above there are far better alternatives (such as soy isolate or concentrate) but they are far more costly.

One last addition from CThompson, which I also think is a good idea, is a ingredients summary of all 3: Prestige, NLS and OSI.

Prestige

INGREDIENTS: Whole Wheat Germ - Defatted Soya Bean Meal- Fish Meal- Spirulina- Kelp Germ Ascophyllum Nodosum)- Dried Yeast- Wheatgrain- Vitamin A- Vitamin B total- Vitamin - Menadion- Nicotanic Acid- Absorbic Acid- Folic Acid- Pyridoxin B6- Thiamin B1- iboflavin B2- Vitamin B12- Chlorine Chloride- Iodine- Copper- Iron- Manganous Oxide- inc- Mycocurb- Biotin- Garlic- Calcium B Panthenate- Cobalt- Marigold- Pimpinella nisum GUARANTEED ANALYSIS- Crude Protien (min) - 38%- Crude Fat (min) - 6%- rude Fiber (max) - 7%- Moisture (max) - 8%

New Life Spectrum

Ingredients: Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, Whole Herring Meal, Wheat Flour, Whole Squid Meal, Algae Meal, Soybean Isolate, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Garlic, Vegetable and Fruit Extract (Spinach, Broccoli, Red Pepper, Zucchini, Tomato, Pea, Red and Green Cabbage, Apple, Apricot, Mango, Kiwi, Papaya, Peach, Pear), Vitamin A Acetate, D-Activated Animal-Sterol (D3), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine, DL Alphatocophero ( E ), Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Niacin, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, L-Ascorby-2-Polyphosphate (Stable C), Ethylenediamine dihydroiodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Choline Chloride.

Tetra ColorBits

Ingredients: Fish Meal, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Wheat Germ Meal, Wheat Flour, Corn Gluten, Feeding Oat Meal, Potato Protein, Shrimp Meal, Dried Yeast, Wheat Gluten, Monobasic Calcium Phosphate, L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, Lecithin, Algae Meal, Soybean Oil, Yeast Extract, Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C), Inositol, Niacin, A-Tocopherol-Acetate, Riboflavin-5-phosphate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (Stabilized Vitamin C), Choline Chloride, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Palmitate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Cyanocobalamin, Cholecalciferol, Manganese sulfate, Zinc sulfate, Ferrous sulfate, Cobalt nitrate. Coloring Agents: Beta-Carotene, Red 3 dye, Ethoxyquin and Citric Acid both as Preservatives.

Archived