Can guppies survive without a heater and filter?

Barracuda

Can they survive in a smallish tank without a heater and filter? Planning on putting in some gravel and plants, and maybe an airstone...will this be sufficient or do they really need warm water and a filter?

i have kept them in a tank with just an airstone and no heater (last winter). They lived but grew very slow and didnt show much color. When i put them in a heated tank they grew alot faster and had more color. So yeah it can be done but the results wont be impressive.

i have kept them in a tank with just an airstone and no heater (last winter). They lived but grew very slow and didnt show much color. When i put them in a heated tank they grew alot faster and had more color. So yeah it can be done but the results wont be impressive.

Did they breed?

Did they breed?

they where fry so no breeding. They are still in the heated tank and are now breeding.

No they dont jump but exceptions can be made. so put perspex or soemthing over it. as for heaters and plastic. yes it can be done but make sure the suction caps are holding the heater of the pastic as you dont want it to melt. HTH

• 2 months later...

I had them outside though winter last year, they were very inactive and dull.

No breeding at low temperatures.

So a small heater and a sponge filter will keep them happy and reward you with some fry.

Otherwise, give them a go when spring comes..

Why not just get the smallest Aquaclear HOB with the adjustable flow rate and slow it down? Then at least you have an excellent filter that can be used on a 2ft tank down the track what you buy another tank.... hehehe

I hate the room that sponge filters take up in small tanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Non winter in Sydney (and shoulder periods?) will see the tank warm enough to not need a heater. In summer the trick can be keeping the tank from getting too hot.

At any time of the year, inside a house or outside the house an unheated tank will match the ambient temperature. It is winter that you need to be concerned. Outside is out of the question, but if your house doesn't get too cold….

These are tropical fish, the lower the temperature the slower they become, the less they will eat, the less likely they will breed. Be aware guppies are not as hardy as African cichlids, and low temp can make them more vulnerable.

A temp drop (as winter onsets) is not as great a problem as a sudden drop, but be wary you don't overfeed when their metabolism slows. I expect in reality you will need a heater for winter.

If you don't put many fish you can get by with no filter. The more fish the more you will need one. Put in plenty of plants and I expect with few fish you can have a very successful tank of guppies.

Be aware that some water movement will be beneficial and probably needed, a small air stone perhaps. Why don't you think about using an under gravel filter, this will help clean and provide some water movement, with few fish and plenty of plants it could be quite nice.

Most fancy guppies aren't very hardy.....but I have found "endlers" (My Avatar) to be quite good

I'd suggest the addition of a small heater....or selection of fish that are tolerant to cooler temps

ie....White cloud Mountain minnows or Australian blue-eyes or perhaps a Paradise fish

Most fancy guppies aren't very hardy.....but I have found "endlers" (My Avatar) to be quite good

I'd suggest the addition of a small heater....or selection of fish that are tolerant to cooler temps

ie....White cloud Mountain minnows or Australian blue-eyes or perhaps a Paradise fish

good advice :thumb

• 2 weeks later...

Would the Paradise fish not be to rough on the guppies when they get bigger,and they will eat the Guppy fry as well.

Would the Paradise fish not be to rough on the guppies when they get bigger,and they will eat the Guppy fry as well.

Correct.....that's why I said or and not and between each suggested cold water specie ;)

I'm not suggesting they would work together...or with guppies

Archived