New Fish Room

Noddy65

I can then either replumb (its only a bit of pvc piping) or even remove the black edges?

I would leave the black edging as I like the look of it. But if you are going to modify the plumbing at all I would leave 5-10mm between each tank and then put a bit of black plastic on the front of the joints (face of the tanks only) just to make it look tidy. But that's just me being pedantic.

Is the air problem close to the tank near the bulkheads?

The problem is at the highest point. By the looks of your pic's the PVC will be almost level. Remove your 90 degree elbow and put a tee in its place. Put the elbow back on that tee and just make sure the PVC is higher than the water level. This should allow it to breath a lot better. Unfortunately is something you are going to have to experiment with.

Would it help if I was to put a Tee at the end of the row before the water drops down into the sump or is this too late in the plumbing to have any affect?

I would try it at one end as mentioned above (thinking that is the highest point). Test it all out before gluing it all together. If it was me I would selastic it all together rather than glue. Means you can mod as required without destroying anything. Also allows you to move house again without having to try and freight it all in one piece.

Or could I drill a breather hole in the elbow piece that comes out of the bulkhead?

I wouldn't as you may have trouble seeling it. Maybe you could drill a hole and tap a thread and use the sprinkler taps and headers... Again experimenting will find what works best for you.

It all comes down to the flow rate you want to put through your tanks.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Mike,

I don't glue or silicon any of my PVC, as Ben says its eaiser to move. I use plumbers tape to make a nice tight fit. Rarely leaks and makes adjusting very easy. Also a lot easier and faster to put together. The other day I had to change a system around and it was dead easy, all I needed to do was gently ease the PVC apart - no hack sawing etc.

I did have problems on some of the bulkhead fittings when I set up some of the systems, in that a few leaked. I had to undo them and make sure they were completely square and flush, so don't rush this step, as you only find out once it has water and is running and is a pain to redo...the quality of the drilling is also a factor as it should be square, if you know what I mean.

Cheers

Grant

• 4 weeks later...

Small update

One rack of 15 tanks is plumbed and running with the sump (Ill take pics and post when finished)

I finally finished (well, almost) the insulation of the room on the weekend.

Heres the garage door that needs to be insulated. I made a frame out of pine.

IPB Image

and I used some of the same fibreglass insulation I used for the roof and internal walls.

IPB Image

Im not very good at being a carpenter

IPB Image

and the finished product

IPB Image

a coat of paint (eventually) will make the room look great. And repair that dodgy light to the left of the door.

Ok...heres the sump

Its pretty high (50 cm) but this means theres plenty of space for overflow in case the pump goes off. There is also plenty of space for extra media if I need it.

Its essentially a 6 chambered sump. The last one housing just the pump. Eventually each compartment will hold (starting from the top). Fine filter wool, coarse sponge, clay balls, coral pieces, matrix (if I can afford it). A bit of overkill but hopefully the water will be really clean.

IPB Image

Heres the plumbing....gravity fed into the back chamber (white pipes) and then pumped back into the tanks (clear pipes and black pipes). Theres not really enough water left over to adequately feed the very top tanks so Ill pop another smaller pump into the sump to service the bottom row, leaving the 11,000 lph pump for just the top two rows (you were right Grant :) )

IPB Image

and a fishroom without a whiteboard and cork board behind the door is just a room really

IPB Image

Mike

Received a few more tanks the other day...thee are all 24 x 12 x 12 inches....

Theyll be fry grow out tanks, no substrate. All plumbed into a single sump

Theres enough room on the rack for some expansion :D

IPB Image

were did u get the pallet racks from and how much did that set u back

I got them second hand on ebay....end frames were around $40 each and the beams were around $15 - $20 each (from memory)

Mike

I got them second hand on ebay....end frames were around $40 each and the beams were around $15 - $20 each (from memory)

Mike

Did you get them from golf-cart-king ebay member and did you also get frieght

Mike

Did you get them from golf-cart-king ebay member and did you also get frieght

No mate

I got them from a guy on ebay who dismantles them for a living...I picked them up. He even cut them to reduce the width to 600 mm for me.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Ok...just a small update...Im really just waiting for the tanks to be delivered and the sumps to cycle but today was a big day....I put the first fish into the new tanks...yipeeeeee

IPB Image

More shells will be going in

A nice young pair of caudos

IPB Image

This is how Ive setup the UV steriliser for the sumps....the water goes in one end and runs out the other....Im using a slow powerhead to push the water through it.

IPB Image

Mike

It is looking great Mike :thumb . Laurie and I have to do a drive by at some stage especially if you get some of those mpwimbwe leptos and tin can bay rainbows up to size :wub . I have a trio of mpwimbwe here that are begging to have some tank mates. I do recall when we dropped of your leptos to you ages ago and you showed us your room. Both of us held our head in shame with the number of quality fish that you had breeding in that small space. I can hardly wait to see what do with amount of space :thumbup:

cheers

rosco

It is looking great Mike :thumb . Laurie and I have to do a drive by at some stage especially if you get some of those mpwimbwe leptos and tin can bay rainbows up to size :wub . I have a trio of mpwimbwe here that are begging to have some tank mates. I do recall when we dropped of your leptos to you ages ago and you showed us your room. Both of us held our head in shame with the number of quality fish that you had breeding in that small space. I can hardly wait to see what do with amount of space :thumbup:

cheers

rosco

No dramas Rosco

Ive got around 30 mpimbwe fry at the moment (and a few mouth fulls) ...only a hand full are big enough to move on to other fanciers though :)

Mike

Hey Mike,

Setups looking awesome so great job! :thumbup:

Just a question about the racking though; arn't they like only able to support 100Kg per shelf? At least this is what I found according to this website for the 1.5m long shelves:

http://commercial.kmate.com.au/index.php?a...mp;productId=89

As for the longer one it says they're suppose to hold 200Kg per shelf:

http://commercial.kmate.com.au/index.php?a...p;productId=141

The reason why I wanted to know is because I'm still confused with the racking for a fish room I intend on building later on in the year. I don't know whether I should custom build one using galvanised steel, purchase and tweak one off the forums, or go like you with your racking system. Any help from anyone would greatly be appreciated :)

Also wanted to know where abouts you got the substrate from, looks nice.

Thanks,

John

Hi John

The shelving is Dexion, rated at around 1000 kg (or maybe more) per shelf. The weight rating depends on the manufacturer

The substrate is pool filter sand I got from Clark Rubber...I thought it was going to be white but I like the darker colour actually

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived