Tanks (Excellent quality)

sofiko

I'll be shopping around for a brand new display tank to be built (at least 8 foot long with corner weirs).

In years gone by, aside from dimensions, I've left the rest to the the tankbuilder.....Maybe do things a bit differently this time around.

Besides tank dimensions and glass thickness, what other features should I specify?

In other words, what makes a quality built tank stand out from the rest?

black silicon , and depending on the sizes of ornaments keep in mind the size of the openings at the top.

you may want to make provisions for your heaters in the weir filters to hide them , maybe look at a product called LEXAN (black) and maybe use that for the corner piece to hide the filter media

hope this helps

I'll be shopping around for a brand new display tank to be built (at least 8 foot long with corner weirs).

In years gone by, aside from dimensions, I've left the rest to the the tankbuilder.....Maybe do things a bit differently this time around.

Besides tank dimensions and glass thickness, what other features should I specify?

In other words, what makes a quality built tank stand out from the rest?

1)Beveled edges.

2)Blacked out weirs, acrylic panels silliconed over the weir with combs at the top to hide the pipes.

3)Slide lids

4)Star fire glass front and even side panels ( very expensive option )

5)Universal back ground

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks mrgreen. The heaters will be hidden away in the sump below. However, I plan to have the back painted black so I’ll be looking into LEXAN or Mark’s black acrylic panel.

Pardon my ignorance…why black silicon?

Another thing I noticed on previous tanks are bubbles in the silicon.

Is this just aesthetics? Whatever, I’ll watch out this time around.

Thanks Mark. Starfire panels …”Like it, Like it!”

Bevelled edges, slide lids. All great suggestions.

What about advice on the actual strengthening of the tank in terms of bracing and the like?

Appreciate the input…Keep it coming :thumbup:

My understanding:

Euro bracing = wide perimeter bracing on top (and no cross bracing or bridges).

Does euro bracing allow for lids?

Again, is euro an aesthetics feature more suited to reef tanks or does it have structural/strengthening advantages over the norm?

I have it on a couple of tanks, and have had lids made to suit, I needed to get large pieces of driftwood in for some Panaques.

Here is some info I "procured" from the www :

Euro Bracing – Euro bracing is an approx. 3” wide strip of glass that runs all around the perimeter of the tank. It gives you complete & free access to the inside of your tank without any cross braces. This is also a favored option for those optimizing on the light penetration into their tank. This bracing can also be polished for a very refined look. In very large tank applications, euro bracing is tempered.

I guess it also answers my own Q.

Best bet would be to ask the place building it I guess. My lids are just foot long lengths with a small knob siliconed on to remove them. I kept them small (lid length that is) so as to not place undue weight across them. (I hope that makes sense).

When I had my tank it had the return hole for water from the sump drilled inside the weirs.

I also had hole drilled in the base of the tank that had hoses connected for water changes, there are heaps of options for what you can get, but you need to know what you want first

Yeh. I think I know what you mean. It'd mean lids at least 2 ft long each in my case. Too awkward.

I like the look of euro bracing with no lids. However, my fish can be skittish at times and take flight :)

But thinking about it now, theres no need for lids as I'll have an enclosed hood (containing the lighting).

So euro bracing is looking a lot better.

Thanks Josh.

I was planning to have a weir, one in each back corner. And 2 drilled holes in each (for input and output).

Thats another technical issue:

Do I need to redirect each inflow far away from each weir?

Does that mean 2 return pumps in the sump, one for each inflow?

Is there a better alternative?

Also, I was gonna plumb an eheim 2260 filter (with double taps), solely for mechanical filtration, either to the bottom or back. For water changes I would disconnect the filter and hook up a long hose to redirect to garden.

Appreciate all the new ideas. Just wanna ensure I'll be happy with the end result and have'nt missed anything.

Keep it coming :thumbup:

no way id get slide lids , absolute pain in bum , they get dirty , the just suck period.

also make it hard for access for decorations

black silicon with no over spill looks awsome i dont have them as my tanks, when finished will be bordered like a picture frame , black silicon gives you that border look and when done well looks amazing.

painting the back is a cop out if your looking for the ultimate tank , unfortunately you will need to custom make your own 3d back ground ( i will never do this again , i spent 60 hours making my four "side grounds" main reason when i designed my house to accept my tanks i did not paint the walls but from the pics you can see this is not practical , the other main reason for constructing the side grounds was to hide all heaters tubes filters etc , i also run an under ground pluming system so there are no dead spots and left an area above the back ground for a spray bar thats hidden , its not quite perfect but i'll get it right in 15 years when i build my next house hahahaha

one of my issues was installing the side grounds , because of the bracing it was the worlds tightest fit and a nightmare because of weight and the sheer awkwardness

i hope you like the pic's

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

when finished , i will have false wall to the ceiling , redo the cornices, and have a jarrah picture frame covering all foam and glass over laps , i'm going for the "hanging live picture look" from the games room it will look like my kitchen with cabinets below and above concealing the lighting

Cheers

Steve Green

ps. as you can see Bella my female doberman also enjoys watching the tanks too lol

no way id get slide lids , absolute pain in bum , they get dirty , the just suck period.

No way would I get a tank without sliding lids. If made properly they do not stick and are much less likely to be broken than a standard "take off and put somewhere lid". Any lid gets dirty, particularly with algae if they stay moist with water spray from air bubbles from an air stone with a light right above, for example. A lid will not get dirty because it slides or doesn't slide it will get dirty because it has a surface that stays moist and well lite.

I have a fish tank with the original sliding lids that was made for me when I was about 18, I'm now 46.

I have never broken a sliding glass lid, but with care have managed to break pretty much all of my tank lids that have standard lids on them. I never organise a new tank unless it has sliding lids now.

also make it hard for access for decorations

I don't understand this at all. Wether static or sliding, if they are in the way -take it off.

Different tank makers have different ways of doing sliding lids. Perhaps you have only had badly made/planned lids? :confused:

The best way is when the reinforcing bars at both tank ends and bridge/s are made from two pieces of glass, the same lengths but narrower. The top narrower reinforcing bar rests the back lid on (the top of the back lid level with the top of tank's sides/bridges). The actual sliding lid resting on the second lower wider reinforcing bar, and slides under the back lid.

I have to agree with Craig on the sliding lids. I always thought they were a gimmick until I got some on my tanks.

Josh

Hey Steve, thanks for the pics.

Awesome setup. Very nice aquascaping and 3d panelling. Through good planning and hard work you’ll soon have a system that will totally blend into your living areas.

It’s not all that far from perfect and like Bella – anyone would be mesmerised and enjoy looking at that setup.

You’ve also got me now thinking about my tank and I need to plan beforehand: How to hide the weir, heaters, plumbing etc ; how to ensure there are no dead spots and how to setup to allow easy gravel cleans.

Have’nt seen any but from your description I can imagine that black siliconed tanks look far better than clear ones (if it is done extremely well). I’m guessing these tanks don’t have the crappy plastic framing covering the vertical joints.

Having seen some around, I’d have to agree with the others and say that slide lids are better than normal “lift off” lids, on so many levels.

Need some further ideas on the actual tank build with regards to strengthening joints and reinforcement (8 x 2 base, 15mm)

i would go black silicone, i think it looks better, also normal silicone can be stained by medications if you have to use them, ie methylene blue and malachite green.

i would make sure it has bracing in all the corners if it is a big tank

Hi everyone very interesting topic,

I myself plan in purchasing a custom made tank, i currently have a 10 x 3 x 2ft fish tank. Overall happy with the tank however not so happy with the service. Lids and a few other pieces have not arrived yet and its been over 6 months (keep in mind i have paid for everything). Im very careful as to which place to get my new tank, any suggestions where they make quality tanks, decent price, and good service? I am located in Sydney, Thanks!

I have a fish tank with the original sliding lids that was made for me when I was about 18, I'm now 46.

WOW you been in the hobby for 28 years, i wonder if i will be too :thumbup:

I had my first tank when I was around 9-10 years old. Before this my dad had a tank. My first word was "shish" :B even apparently before mom or dad :roll .

Good comments!

The obvious next question is where do people recommend to get such high quality tanks made? Particularly in the Sydney region.....

The best tank I have ever had made was by Wayne at Extreme Aq. It can be tough to get a tank out of him I'm told, but he's the first bloke who makes tanks I have come across who can follow instructions/requests and still get his head into the project to pick up mistakes and to offer suggestions for improvements.

Craig

^^ your not the only one who swears by extreme. I dont want to talk for him but im pretty sure yellow got his tanks from him also and swears by him, if it was someone else ill edit this post. But yellows tanks have no over flow, just bulk heads with a split return in the middle of the back glass, very nice idea.

I'm pretty big on getting great customer service as well as someone who I feel wants my business....I've no doubt the guy at Xtreme is a good tankmaker

Up till now I've had Laurie (St George) build my new tanks and am leaning towards him fot the next one. While I'm very happy with the service and tanks, I just want to be better armed this time around.

I've also heard many raves for the guy at San Souci (although, I hear he might be now retired).

Archived