yellow

jaguars courting

after a ridiculous amount of searching and cursing i finally found a female for my male; or moreso they were found for me. this is them.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by yellow

Out of interest, how big are the fish?

the males probably 13 inches the female 8

Are they HITH scars on the big fella?

Hope he is all good now if they are, he is a very nice looking fish.

cheers mate lookes likes a very happy couple, good to see how you had your tank set up to get them to be so open, my festaes never act like that prehaps i need a bigger tank

what size tank are the jags in??

scary fish! the pattern on those fish are beautiful but i wouldn't want to meet one underwater! HITH scare? I thought only oscars get them.

Are they HITH scars on the big fella?

yeah

what size tank are the jags in??

6x2x20

scary fish! the pattern on those fish are beautiful but i wouldn't want to meet one underwater! HITH scare? I thought only oscars get them.

Why would you think only oscars get them? alot of the central and south americans seem to be very susceptible to HITH.

i've only seen hith on oscars and most hith questions were related to oscars so thats why i had the wrong info :)

don't you have to add calcium or something to prevent hith?

hilh = hole in the head

Some People Say Diet Some people say water conditions

Some People say protiens I am not to sure

cheers

craig

hth

Edited by cobaltcraig

hilh = hole in the head

Some People Say Diet Some people say water conditions

Some People say protiens I am not to sure

cheers

craig

hth

im with craig. when it comes to hole in the head the only thing i know for sure is that no one really knows for sure. this fish has been fed nls/pilchards/prawns for the majority of its life; it also developed hith whilst eating nls. hes spent his entire life in his own tank which is on a 2400L system that until recently only had five fish in it; a system which has never had a spike of anything since cycled. my water quality/parameters are perfect, i buffer to ensure so. i do weekly 50% water changes. so who knows :dntknw:

it could be an age thing, this fish is seven years old and only developed it recently. it could also be hereditary as his father had it as well; and funnily enough developed it at about the same time. but, having said this, the only thing i know for sure is that no one really knows for sure

Edited by yellow