Silver Arowana getting beaten up by Giant Gourami

barnesy

Gday guys

I currently have a 35cm Giant Gourami in a 6x2x2 with my 35cm Silver Arowana.

Lately the GG has been harrasing the silver and now he has lost a couple of scales and is hiding under the driftwood.

Obviously i want the Silver to be the show piece of my tank.

how do I stop the aggression of the GG?

does anyone use dither fish with these guys. if so what is recommended

Cheers

Barnesy

Hey mate,

How long have they been together? Have you changed anything in the tank? Add or remove fish?

What do you currently have in the tank fish wise?

I have found that with more fish, you have less aggression. I too have had problems keeping a GG with a silver and a jardini. At the moment, my jardini is aorund 40cms, and my GG is around 15cms and the GG still picks on the jardini. I will be adding more mid dwelling fish to reduce/distract the aggression.

Perhaps you can look at silver dollars, mono args, and other mid dwelling fish like flag tails, sharks etc should do the job

Why dont you post some pics? :)

If you can answer the above question that will help shed some light on the subject. but unfortuneately i have been in your situation twice. Both times resulting in my GG being sold or traded to ppl. For some reason both the giant gouramis i had were mean to anything else in my tank. But i have seen GG many times with other large fish with no problems. At worst you ll have to choose between the two, but if it was my choice it would be easy.

Ill never keep GG again.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the help team

the two have grown up together since they were both about 8 cms

I love the GG and hes currently sitting alone in a 5x2x2.

Im gonna add some other large fish to the tank to see if i can then re introduce him with less aggression (Or at least less focused aggression)

Take a look at what i think is a battle wound from the GG

IPB Image

I too have found GG quite aggressive towards other tank mates, especially during feeding time. I have 1 RTGG very several big tank mates, for some reason the only fish he would pick on is my 2 large pacu... other fish he will leave alone like my silvers, clown knife, etc.

Archived