Feeding: Recommended Foods

YeW

Hi All -

I think a list of recommended pelleted/granulated/flake foods would be good for the SCP to post as a sticky - obviously these foods would not have any unpleasant effects (such as making female cichlids appear male :w

So - post your favourite fish foods - think about the following. What is the best for the price? What is the best quality? Is the food flake or pellet? Feel free to list specialty foods - but please note next to the food that is it is primarily for species x.

I'll start the ball rolling:

My two faves based on price and quality are:

the NSWCS pellets

and Hikari Cichlid Staple.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use the NSWCS pellets as a regular. Big for my tilapia, medium for my adult Malawis and others about that size, little for youngsters and little fish, crushed for little babies. I have also been using Wardleys Cichlid Flake and Spirulina tablets (both from petbarn as not too spensive) (tablets crushed for those that need it) and also give them other things like vegies, the odd prawn, the odd snail, and so on. No complaints about growth, health, colour etc.

Not sure how many people have used this, but ive used Sera Micron, Sera Micropan, Sera Micro granuals, to feed my fry in a 3 step process. The growth rate of the fish was quite fast (faster than expected)(also fed frozen BBS, Zooplankton). I'm gunna stick to this food myself, does anyone else use these sera products and whats your opinion? I believe the products are expensive but they seem to do the job.

Anthony :)

Hi all,

I use sera flora, "home brand" from Aquotix (great value, granule size range and good for colour), the odd frozen bloodworm and brine. I also use the sera prods. for fry but supplement with microworm and newly hatched brine. Bottom feeders get Hikari algae wafers, vegies and sinking complete food tabs (nutrifin) or seranip.

merjo

i use the hikari pellets for my americans (texas and jacks) size meduim

and the mini for the fry........

sometimes some sinkable sticks but i don't know the brand ...... got them from lams aquariums and it has a texas photo on it (the box is white with a blue lid)......... does anyone know it ???????

is it good for the fry..... it's their main food..... with some bloodworms ..... 2 days a week......

hey guys where do you get the NSWCH peelets from ????????

and are they better than the hikari ????

thx in adv.

c ya

:8

sometimes some sinkable sticks but i don't know the brand ...... got them from lams aquariums and it has a texas photo on it (the box is white with a blue lid)......... does anyone know it ???????

"Aqua-Life Cichlid Pellets"

I use Wardleys Spirilina Flake (not disk) for my mbuna along with Wardley colour enhancing flake, the occasional feed of Hakari Brineshrimp and Fish Fuel Co Zooplankton. I feed kongs bloodworms probably once a week.

Anthony :8

Ok'here goes

For my Americans i use Hikari Chiclid gold, Cichlid staple, beef heart and frozen Cichild mix.

For my Africans i use HBH 8 Vege Flake, OSI Spirulina wafers, Zuccini which they share with the B-nose cats. When i have babies i crush all the dry foods together and feed them that.

Cheers, Heintz.

:lol

Any chance we could make this a sticky Dave ?

Or set up like a profile page but for food, water treatments etc.

I think it'll be very handy for begginers especially, but also for all of us who want to try somthing new, or have changed from Americans to Malawis and want some opinions etc. Or like Mulva at the moment haveing picky eaters.

Could be very handy.

Lata

Matt

I feed NSWCS pellets as a staple to all my fish, but then I don't have any vegetarians any longer. Before I discovered these good quality and great value for money pellets, I used to feed Tetra Bits as a staple (ouch - but at the time I only had 2 tanks, so that was ok).

For the vegetarians amongst our fish we used OSI spirulina flakes, which the fish loved. My fish also loved Sera Flora (they went crazy about it), but the price can be a little prohibitive, depending on the exchange rate - I guess.

Could someone PM me what "those" foods that allegedly cause, um, issues are? I would like to know what ones are not a positive choice.

Cheers - OziOscar.

I feed my tanks with herbivores OSI spirilina flakes and some fresh lettuce or peas etc once a week, and home grown algae. The other fishes get Wardleys premium cichlid flake, or a mix of both flakes every few days, plus alage and vegies etc.

Archived