Meal Worm

crossback

Hi all,

Just want to share this with you all.

Meal worm comes in a small round take away; They are not cheap as well.

I would get 3 to 4 larger take away container

I would the put 3 block of wheat bix in each container, after you can evenly put the meal worm on top of the wheat bix.

By haveing the wheat bix ensure that the meal worm is feed, big and fat before feeding it to the fish.

Also the worm can move around.

Now you don't have to use new wheat bix I am sure we all have some that have been sitting at the a back of the pantry.

I would normal keep 1 out ant the rest in the fridge. I would only take anothe container out when I am half way thru the first.

By doing this I found that I have double the shelf life of my meal worms.

As well as I am feed my fish big and healty worms.

Cheers

I use to breed mealworms for my quails and the aviary. Quite simply.

Get those clear platic containers with lids. The 40litre ones. They're usually on wheels, any size will do really, but the bigger the better.

Go to a feed store and buy some mealed bran, some grains, some meal oats.

Mix them all together and put it into the container. About 2-3 inches is fine. If you want to nutritional content, add skim milk powder.

On top, cover with a few layers of newspaper, just make sure the contents are no more than halfway up the container, else the "worms" will escape once they become beetles. Keep the lid closed with a couple of holes covered in mesh.

On top of the newspaper, cut some pieces of carrots and place them. The mealworms will use the carrots as a source of water. Do not wet the mixture, as it can become mouldy.

Soon, you will see them pupaete into beetles and after that, miniature mealworms will appear in the mix. It will become a point where the entire mix will be moving, not a great sight for the missus, but for you, it's gold, a constant food source.

Also, when feeding, pick out the white mealworms as they have just recently shedded and is softer than the darker ones.

After a while, the mixture will smell of urine and a new mix needs to be made up.

Cheers,

Vien.

• 1 month later...

Archived