Rocks: Where to find (005)

try landscape supplies or if you need alot of rock, id go in bush somewhere and take a few pieces (if no one sees ya). I know thats illegal, but REALISTICALLY hey who wants to pay top price for a rock?? seems very silly to me.

Try at a few landscapers, nurseries...probably the nurseries out in rural type areas. Other than that anywhere u think rocks would be.

Please don't take it from the bush, not only are you risking BIG fines, but try to think about the impact if we all had the opinion that it was only bad if we got caught.

Bush rock is an important component of our bush eco system.

Fiona's right about private property.

If you go down to your local park or creek to take some... this is a BIG NO NO and very illegal.

It is illegal to take ANY bush rock from National Parks, Wildlife reserves, Council Park Land, Common areas, Common land or Crown Land. And that also includes flora and fauna too!

You must also test the rocks that you buy... i think that you have to test the rocks for limestone with some diluted acid - if it foams then there is limestone, as this kills the fish. Your Rock must be limestone free - or something like this.

This is a picture of my display tank (the tank all my spare fish get chucked in lol). It's a 500L tank, 3ftx3ft and 2ft high. The photograph doesn't show the crevices and caves very clearly, but there are heaps of little hiding spots in that pile for fish of all sizes. The rocks fill the tank too, which is not clear from the pic either.

That pile cost me less than $20 from a landscape supplies outlet wink.gif

user posted image

yeh i agree its not legal to take it from reserves, however that is exactly where landscape suppliers get it from....either way bush rock comes from bush....home of animals etc, eco systems etc. No matter where u come across it in stores, in the end its all from the bush.

taking 3 or 4 rocks at most isnt gonna damage bush as much as we think, my friends a geologist and environmentalist, he said that takin rocks is one of the last things that damages our ecosystem, try cuttin down trees and pesticides etc.

even $3 a kilo is alot, especially if u need a fair bit of it in a larger tank, can cost u up to $120. thats some mighty expensive sandstone!

My sister lives on 20+ acres "out bush" laugh.gif and they were told on purchasing the property that all rock must stay ON the property. They may relocate it/ bury it/ use it to make flower beds/ crush it into dust but it must NOT be removed from that area of land.

That has always made me wonder. Can anyone actually explain these rules to me?

And also, all you guys who are saying to take it from private property, do you know this to be acceptable, or are you assuming?

Thanks for the comments Greekstylez, but I am serious about it being the tank where I throw the spares laugh.gif

It's the only tank I have in the house, and my wife likes it to be a nice-looking tank rather than a breeding setup with pipes and other ugly things, so I try to keep it clean and full of colourful fish for her wink.gif

I keep spare males for my breeding colonies in there, in case something should happen to the male in one of my breeding tanks, and also other various male fish.

It pays to keep the wife happy, it makes her a little more tolerant wub.gif of the other tanks and monthly trips to "fish-geek central" (at moorebank) biggrin.gif

Guest Gutty
Can anyone actually explain these rules to me?

Among other descriptive words, thats commonly known as bullcrap !

As far as i am aware there are no laws governing the movment/removing of stone from ones property.

I could be wrong, but i asked a mate that does property development(submits applications to council etc) and he's never heard of such sillyness.

Greekstyles: Apart from the 3 peices of sandstone in the middle, all that river rock cost me under $5(was actually only 0.60c, but i gave him a 5er for a beer)

user posted image

BTW, thats a 4x2

Hi all,

when some body subdivides there land they can place nearly any restricitions on that land that they wish. Also goverment bodies could possibly stop You from from removing rock from the ground, in an attempt to stop people carving huge holes in there land and selling it for profit, or having minning companies buying the land. But I dont think this applies to rock laying on top of the ground, just the rock below the surface.

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Josh and Evelyn

Matt

Nice setup you have there. Is this the same display tank you have the A. hueseri in? I think I can spot him 2 fish above the yellows.

Still looking for those females mate, let me know if you'd be interested in a few as well. biggrin.gif

Cheers

Paul

Guest Gutty

Thanks Paul, close but no cigar. Thats my Chiwindi male. Didn't have the hueseri back then.

Good luck in your search, but i'm not really keen. I like my Chiwindis, and thats enough breeding for me.

Cheers

Matt

Quote from Gigitt.

You must also test the rocks that you buy... i think that you have to test the rocks for limestone with some diluted acid - if it foams then there is limestone, as this kills the fish. Your Rock must be limestone free - or something like this.

Are you sure this is true? Limestone is a common type of rock that people put into their tanks because helps buffer the water. I even got some from the last major auction.

Guest Gutty
Quote from Gigitt.

Are you sure this is true? Limestone is a common type of rock that people put into their tanks because helps buffer the water. I even got some from the last major auction.

more on this subject,

Not sure what type of rock it is thats actually bad for your tank, but i thought the test was done using vinegar.

I just did a search to see if I could find a list of rocks that are not safe for aquarium use.

I found the following.

http://www.uniquaria.com/articles/sr.html

This list is strange, it says that coral, marble and limestone are all unsafe for use. ohmy.gif But this is what most of us would put into our african tanks to keep the pH up.

I don't know why they say they are unsafe yet in the next paragraph they say that they are acceptable for use in African tanks. dry.gif

Guest Gutty

I'd assume they say it's unsafe as it would create to high a PH for most tropical fish(ie: non rift lakers)

just a guess though.........

Hi all,

Dilute acids are used by geologists in the field to check for the presence of carbonates (usually an indication of limestone). They are not harmful for use in an aquarium, and in fact form an integral part of buffering in hard water set-ups.

merjo

Archived