Peacock Bass

C_H

Hi guy's & gal's im just wanting to know about peacock bass are they easy to keep. As i am looking into getting one it will be kept in a 3x2x2 with mabe a oscar. i have a friend that can possibly get me one but not sure yet. anyone know where to get one around the central coast from 5-10 cm?

Questions,

1. how fast do they grow?

2. Will it need a bigger tank?

3. What ph.

Cheers,

Drew

1. Yes they grow quick!, i mean very quick and very BIG.

2. Yes it will need a very much bigger tank, generally the rule is 300g + for a few, for 1 you would prob still need atleased a 6 Long x 2.5 Wide x 2 High

3. Ph would probably be lower id just run it at whatever your tapwater is.

If your not willing to get a very large tank to house 1 or more of these big fella's then dont even keep them.

I also wanted to keep these beauty's, i have a 6x2.5x2.5 and i still beleive this is too small, this is why i didint get any.

hope this helps

thanks mark~

oh thanks for that guy's i just wanted to know because i saw one at aquariums @ asquith not long ago and it was only in like a standard 3 foot i think with a tiger bichir i think thats how you spell it?

Cheers,

Drew

yeh in fish shops they arent generally full grown, and they cram them into whatever aquariums they have spare.

Hi C_H.

I was in aquariums at asquith recently and they seem to have moved it to a much larger tank as it has grown a huge amount since you have seen it. i think its a 8 ft, the one in the middle of the shop. I believe they are wanting to sell it, i was going to buy it but decided a 3ft was too small. Maybe see if they are willing to sell it to you.

mate i just bought 10 @ 5-7cm, ive got em in a 3x2x2 right now, but i've got an 8x2x2 for em later,

mine are in with some dither fish to keep them active, cos ive found them to be quite shy. At this size.

the dithers are black widow tetras.They cant eat them now because of the shape. but as they grow, i dont think the shape will matter.

they are feeding well, on brine shrimp and bloodworms, they will hit sinking pellets, but they spit em out, ive noticed that they will even have a crack at some flake, but only the red stuff, they pick it out as it sinks, they wont even look at anything thats not red.

the little tackers have started to school up and once one goes in for the kill, its on :thumb

they seem to grow before your eyes :yes: i feed mine twice a day. they are very messy, so you've gotta keep em clean

ive got a few fake plants for cover and they seem to like that.....

ive been told to not feed them "seafish". but im not sure why...can someone tell me why?

the bloke that i bought mine from is advertising them in the classifieds, they are very good quality, healthy fish....and the price is very good....but hurry cos hes getting rid of them fast... :yes::thumb

• 4 weeks later...
ive been told to not feed them "seafish". but im not sure why...can someone tell me why?

its nonsense jeff ive raised about forty to adult size on nothing but pilchards and whitebait.(obviously once their big enough to swallow it) i recommend pilchards over whitebait just because ive found they grow faster on it and theyll eventually reach the size where its the best thing to feed to them anyway due to their adult size.

i have known of people losing their adults by feeding them live feeders aka goldfish dont know the cause of it but three friends lost three adults to three different batchs of goldies. hope this helps

heres a link to a few pics of my oldies, ive got a young pair at the moment as well.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v223/yel...peacock%20bass/

G'DAY JASON,

yeah mate im not sure were i heard it( some web site somewhere) but i thought i should ask anyway.

gus lost a few of em through dodgy goldies didnt he?

i suppose if you only feed fresh stuff, you really cant go too far wrong...

mine have put on an inch in just over a month :shock: so i must be doing something right :thumb

nice photos too, mate... have a look on youtube under peacock bass feeding(not live food)

what a blowout!!! :lol4: that guy would need a mop close by!!

do you know if we have any other species out here?( sorry to hijack the post but i would like to know)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived