Murray Cod

Dick

He's the Pitt Bull of the aquarium, he'll smash anything that moves in the tank and lifts the terracotta pipe you see in his tank when he needs to relocate home. Hopefully he wont relocate to the floorboards below should he smash the glass.

.....Any tips on getting the bugger off live food. I'm trying fish fillets and prawns at the moment but he aint too keen.

Don't feed him for 4-7 days then feed the strips.

If he doesn't go em don't feed for a few more days and try again. Works a treat for me.

Thanks for the tip, Ive left a prawn in his tank for the last day and I'll see if he's eaten it tomorrow. At this rate I'll never get him as big as this for the dinner plate. The big man has gotta eat - we'll get there eventually (still he's doin OK for a 12 month old)

IPB Image

u gonna eat him?? :lol1::clap

Mate, have you noticed how expensive Omega 3 capsules are these days. Imaging how many bottles worth you'd get out of a cod this big? He'd meet your yearly requirements no probs, at the cost of a few mullet fillets and whatever's left over out the back of the fish and chip shop. Giddy Up.

Just joking, how could you imagine eating an animal that so closely resembles the nature of a pet dog ! I think Conan has earnt his tank space and slice of terracotta.

I've kept a few of these in my years of experience and have no problems with getting them onto frozen foods. Offer him nothing but the frozen stuff he'll catch on pretty quick when he realises thats all hes getting. Once you get him on to frozen food watch out cause then theres no stopping him. I used to feed mine full mulies.

I've kept a few of these in my years of experience and have no problems with getting them onto frozen foods. Offer him nothing but the frozen stuff he'll catch on pretty quick when he realises thats all hes getting. Once you get him on to frozen food watch out cause then theres no stopping him. I used to feed mine full mulies.

MONSTAF1SH, thanks for the confidence. Following your recipe I have regained hope in getting him to fillout the tank. I have no dramas keeping a M. Cod in a tank given they like to just sit in a hole and wait for what might pass by, I'm planning on getting a 10'X2'X2' this coming year and am tossing up whether to put Conan in it as he fattens up or get a Geophagus tank pumping - Altifrons, Pindare, Brassiliensis and Redhumps. What do you reckon there?

I'm also keen to do some bass fishing this summer and bring home some live ones. Too many decisions, not enough support from the wife. What to do? I dont think she's going to like the 6 footer I got her for christmas after tonights discussion. I'm yet to bring a tank into the house! Heres a shot of the garage, whilst the previous Conan tank is at work in the waiting room.

IPB Image

• 3 weeks later...

lol Muray Cod are Awesome but when they get big you better get a bigger tank.. I hope he is over 50cm otherwise it is ILLEGAL to keep him.

He was bought as a fingerling :no: from a hatchery

Archived