cloudy tank

Cathyl

Gday, set up a standard 3 foot tank about 6 weeks ago, ran some goldfish in there for a while to cycle. Added 1 large Red devil, and all was fine. Went out this morning and tank looks like it is filled with milk not water!! Not sure what has happened. Could this be a bacteria bloom? If it is, will it fix itself or is there things I should do? Red devil is fine and still eating, not showing any signs of stress. Forgot to mention tank has an aquaclear 300 and internal Fluval for filtration. Any thoughts?? Thanks.

I had the same problem in my planted tank and I tried Seachem Clarity , did water changes , turned lights off etc. but nothing helped until I bought a 6w UV sterilizer! Ran that for 2 days and water became crystal clear!!!

If it keeps persisiting I would say it's a bloom of some kind that only UV can kill.

Sounds like a heterotrophic bloom.

Don't stress. Depending on what it is, it could last a week or so. Just go ahead with your scheduled water changes and it will disappear automagically, usually.

It's possible there was some contaminant in the tank - anything from a sweaty hand print to unspecified dust / detritus in the case of a brand new tank. These blooms can take anything from a few days to a few weeks to show up.

The last time I had it happen in a new system (new everything), all I did was boost the filtration (threw a second canister on), leave the lights off and voila after three or four days.

HTH.

Cheers - Ozi.

Archived