tank buster contemplations

Gav

I have been waiting a few weeks on the delivery oof my new tank, and the more i wait the less sure i am about what i will put in there. so far it has been plans for earth eaters, but here is the problem.....

the more i think about it, the more i want large fish.

tank dimensions are 1800L x 1200W x 750H. 1600 odd litres. filtration is two eheim pro 3 canisters, but more can be added if need be (though i doubt i need more).

if i was to get large fish, then an aro would be the centrepiece. ever since i was in asia and saw first hand the large high quality aros that you can get, i have wanted one. i realise they are expensive as hell, and thats the only thing that is holding me back. the other is feeding, i really can see it being annoying having to feed something other than dry food. I occasionally see decent quality aros around, so can at least get one I like. i just dont wanna get one then kill it.......

so, if i was to go aro, would it go ok in this size tank? if it would, what could go in with it. finally, what are the major requirements of keeping larger fish? i imagine they would require a lot of water changes due to their messy eating habits. is there anything else i have missed?

any help would be great, as would pointers to other places better suited to get this info.

Hi Gav,

Sounds like a good plan. The majestic aro swimming in a tank is just spell binding.

Can't help you much as I'm at work. Google "arowana farm". Farms should have basic info, if not more and they definitely know what they're doing. I also find arofanatics forum is good for info.

HTH...

Gav thats plenty of room for an arowana or three, if you are getting an asian arrow then just the one should be kept, if you getting silvers then maybe 2 or 3. Silvers can bend quite easily, very flexible. You dont need to feed you arowans live or frozen foods. Its best to feed them pellets, supplimented with prawns or white bait once a week. As for tank mates, well datnoids, bichirs, mamoratus, spotted gars, Lungfish, even giant gouramis and peacock bass......list goes on. Just try avoid tiger shovel nose cats, RTC's and Alligator gars, or even pacus, they will just outgrow your tank very quickly. Just really depends on how much you want to spend and what you can get your hands on. Pm me if you are after anything in particular, i will see what i can do for you

nick!

Hi Gav,

Sounds like a good plan. The majestic aro swimming in a tank is just spell binding.

Can't help you much as I'm at work. Google "arowana farm". Farms should have basic info, if not more and they definitely know what they're doing. I also find arofanatics forum is good for info.

HTH...

thanks for the arofanatics tip. have been looking around there.

nick, thanks for the offer mate. will get in touch with you some time soon. most of what you suggest really appeals, except probably the GG's. not really into them as much.

looks like this tank is about to get massively expensive :B

Archived