Asian Arowana Import Listing Chances?

Nornicle

The argument that this fish is important to chinese beliefs is not relevant This is Australia not China and if Chinese people can't live with what we have here already then they should move to China instead of putting native fauna at risk.

Not to bring up a potentially thread stopping topic here... but is this the same as saying that we should ban Tea from Australia because British colonialist 'invaders' like tea and, and therefore it is not relevant, since This is Australia Not Britain and if British people can't live with what we have here already then they should move to Britain... or are you trying to say something about who 'owns' Australia and that Australia has a certain set of 'beliefs,'

Last I heard Australia was a multicultural democratic society that respected all beliefs... or did I miss the memo that we'd reverted back to a White Australia policy?

you're going down a very narrow road mate...

:roll

Considering you should be really trying to determine the ecological impact arowanas can have on Australia I don't think that Chinese (and other) cultural beliefs on the fish would be as persuasive as say wild population growth and distribution studies. In other words I don't think AQIS (or whoever is handling this matter) actually cares about cultural significance when making their decisions. Maybe in China this cultural significance argument would hold more water.

The points starting to be brought up in this thread are now emulating the flaws in the report which were they weren't very persuasive in any scientific ecological terms but just express the recreational demand of the fish and how that factor alone would magically keep feral populations from establishing. Not entirely convincing :dntknw:

Yikes! I'm with Cuong :clap I don't think the value (cultural or otherwise) of the fish is relevant to either its chance of release or its worth in being added to the import list (although I'm sure bodies like PIAA might disagree :lol2: ).

Please let's not make turn this into a tit-for-tat bitching session, on either side of the cultural spectrum (eyes towards both Mcloughlin and Nornicle!), it has so far been an engaging debate...

The argument that this fish is important to chinese beliefs is not relevant This is Australia not China and if Chinese people can't live with what we have here already then they should move to China instead of putting native fauna at risk.

If FED reads this, I think you would be classified as "EXTREME TERRORIST" :lol3::lol3:

you are not Black by the way are you?

thats like Aborigines asking all Anglos to go back to Europe instead of putting native tribes at risk

i think this thread has been really useful. It will be so helpful to AQIS officers if they use this forum as a minor guide in making their decision.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a definite 100% safe way to breed and sell formosus in Oz.

Excuse me if someone else mentioned this earlier, but the thread is getting long now and I didn't read it all.

I intended to comment on the draft at the time, but a friend had a meeting with DPI&F, and the word arowana was enough to make bureacrats laugh at any chance of them being imported, so I couldn't be bothered.

Formosus are all chipped, so it is intrinsically simple to monitor broodstock that comes to Australia. We only need one shipment, we dont need them on the permissible list. The broodstock should only go to licenced aquaculture facilities.

When the fish breed there is well proven technology to sterilise the egg. This would involve a pressure or temperature shock to the egg. The expected result would be about 92% sterile offspring. Before release for sale a blood test will show triploid chromasomes in effectively sterilised fish. These fish could then be chipped by DPI (as lungfish are) and sold openly. Any fry without triploid cells could be held for future broodstock or destroyed.

NZ govt has accepted white and silver Amur for release to their waterways because of the confidence the technique brings.

I think it's foolproof, but I also don't think it will happen.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just discovered UnderWaterWorld (QLD) applied last year to import some South American Arowana. Sorry if this is old news - Sept 2006. I dont know how successful they are but I will chat to the curator when I am there next.

http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity...bicirrhosum.pdf

There are a few different ways to sterilising fish, some quite cost effective and low tech and many Ornamental Fish Farms in Asia do this on a routine basis as well as hybridize to reduce chances of progeny spawning. Triploidy in foodfish/catfish has been used in Aquaculture for a while too but Greenpeace are SO anti GM they would fight tooth and nail to stop this. On top of that, they dont even want sterile fish in the waterways.

http://www.greenpeace.org/raw/content/usa/...neered-fish.pdf

Archived