Silver Arowana

henryliu

Hi Tam

Demand has gone up dramatically for various reasons including some cultural ones, as well as CITES protection being afforded to Asian Aros.

Higher demand, rarity, etc = higher prices.

A regular 'toga is about $100 retail at that size and they're not exactly rare.

If you know of a place with lower prices than those mentioned, please do share as I'm sure that some of the Tankbuster Fraternity would be quite chuffed to get one at a good price.

Cheers - OziOscar.

you guys got ripped...

they use to go for $250 -$350 2 yrs ago... they cant double in price can they...

Well actually if you want to start on knocking what people paid. I was getting silvers for $125 and im sure you could have gotten them cheaper. So $300 was a rip for 2 years ago.

Nice pick up man.

Can someone tell me why these fish are so special?

I know someone from my cousin that owns a fish shop and he sells a few of them for custom order or something, the price he told me were quite higher then you guy stated, for 1 or more, I wasnt paying any attention as Ive never heard of the fish before.

a few reason why these fish are so special.

-the arowanas got the long life (around 20 years)

-luck- people believe arowanas can bring the lucky for owner

there is the silver arownas details:

Size : Up to 100cm (39 inches)

Distribution: (Silver Arowana)Guyana, and the Orinoco and Amazon Basin.

Water Condition: Soft, moderately acid water.

Temperature: 24-30 C (75 - 86 F)

This species was the first one known among the members of the family Osteoglossidae.

pic from Thomson's Arowanas Corner

user posted image

user posted image

• 4 weeks later...

I dont think she got riped one bit they go for like 1000 here in sunny old QLD . AND thats if you can find one wich no one can also i think you pay for what is around if there are none you pay a sh*t load if there are many about you pay less. Funny thing is in Asian country's they go for like 50 cent talking about getting riped off. lol..

Tim.

Tam i dont think anyones knocking you. I think the main point put across is that the price can change that dramatically.There is no way you could buy a silver for you could 4 years ago say about $250-$350 retail. There just isnt as many as there used to be, very low supply & very high demand. when's the last time you saw a baby silver for sale in a LFS? there just doesnt seem to be anywhere close exotic fish in shops as there was 4 yrs ago, hence the price has changed that much!

I'm probally way off course... but from my rotten memory.. the arowana kind of reminds me of a .... saratoga? i saw in a fish shop? are these fish related or is my mind completely gone and the saratoga looks nothing like the arowana? lol. i think i'm losing it.. Cheers Cameron.

This is why i think you goty a good deal. this is a add from out classafied's it speak's for it's self.

SILVER AROWANA OVER 2ft long, eats live and frozen food, very rare fish, -$1350 Regents Park 3800 2739 or (0412) 728 761

They are not very cheep down this way i can tell you.

Tim.

i bought my silver for $300 at 2 foot long at an aquarium at canly vale last year, i sold it not too long after for $400, i mean i wouldnt pay more than $500 for one. But i guess if you know people, and not stupid enough to get ripped off then, u will find them, just look at the right places and ask the right people wink.gif. I know when i was keeping tank busters, i got real good deals, gars, helicopter catfish, TSN, etc most were from private sales, or just asking around. You will be suprised what you can get your hands on sometimes.

But i know now it will be much harder, but still pays to shop around or ask around.

nick!

Yes it always helps to know a few ppl. But still here is Queens;lan there is not a lot of this kind of stuff getting about Sydney ppl have it easy. I am into tank buster's but can never find what i am after ... always the way.

Tim.

hey tim what tank busters are you after?

perhaps i can source them out, though you live in queensland, its risky shipping, espically when u spend big dollars on a fish.

there are still a few rays goin around here, TSN, Clown knife, pacus.

I havnt seem much arras or gars lately, but then again i havnt been looking, just keeping americans now. Back to basics, It cost me just too much money to feed these monsters.

nick!

Archived