Dusty Miller

snail trap that works well

Hi, I was given one of these traps to try out and imo the trap worked very well. In one tank over night I almost trapped all snails in the tank.

Check it out!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

A sera nip (cat fish tablet) is placed in the red holding cap and the snails enter the ends pushing up the flapps which fall back down behind them trapping them.

The only problem I can see with this item is that baby or small BN would also be able to enter therefor becoming trapped too and stressing them out.

Cheers

i need one!!!!!

second thoughts... how big is the unit??

the snails i have dont look like the ones you have... mine are no bigger then a water drop an not cone shaped like yours

Edited by L127

The only problem I see with that trap is that it isnt big enough for your snail outbreak Dusty....lol :) :) mate that thing is chokkas! theres no room for the flap on the left side to open lol

You can start a business now and sell it as special loach food :p

That looks like it works real well you must have some snails in that tank of yours :shock:

thx for the heads up.

Rat

Wow Uncle Dusty!

A great example of an excellent invention. :thumb

:clap That looks quite impressive (Says me who just spent the better part of the day while doing water changes removing fistfuls of snails by hand :lol4: )

Runs off to find out where they are available :thumbup:

whre can I get one these bad boys I could supply all loaches in Australia with food for years with the snails I keep. It started 3 years ago when I bought one plant from a LFS without quarantining it. Ever since then 22 tanks are infested with the little buggers. :angry:

cheers

rosco

The unit is not very big measurements are 13 cm x 6.5 cm x 3 cm.

I was given the unit from my LFS to trial so I am sure that one of our sponsors could get them in.

I think its a better and safer choice for the fish as apposed to chemicals. :thumb

So I wonder how much can I sell this loach food for? :lol1:

Cheers

The unit is not very big measurements are 13 cm x 6.5 cm x 3 cm.

I was given the unit from my LFS to trial so I am sure that one of our sponsors could get them in.

I think its a better and safer choice for the fish as apposed to chemicals. :thumb

So I wonder how much can I sell this loach food for? :lol1:

Cheers

Loach food! No way! My son would love them in his goldfish tank!! :lol1:

I ordered 2 from an online shop on Sunday and they arrived today :thumbup:

Hopefully they work as good for me as they did for you Dusty I will post Pics with my results

looks good mate...what r u gonna do with all th snails?

i have no where near that many if any at all..must be lucky

Anyone wanting the link to where I found the traps online should Google "Sera snail trap" ;)

I've got a pretty bad snail problem in one of my pleco tanks. Theyre the big round shell types with ugly heads. Some are pretty big, will they fit inside the trap?

cheers,

Richard.

I've got a pretty bad snail problem in one of my pleco tanks. Theyre the big round shell types with ugly heads. Some are pretty big, will they fit inside the trap?

cheers,

Richard.

Hi Richard,

The posts at either end of the trap are desinged to be removed, they are spaced at 10mm intervals so you could leave every 2nd one out and this would give you a 20mm x 20mm entrance for the larger snails but you do have to be careful that small pleco's, BN's or fish cannot enter and become trapped.

HTH

cheers Dusty :thumbup:

Good demonstration using those pics!