How do i move my giant gourami?

Pierced Soul

he's about 2ft in length, needs to be moved form my parents hosue to my house (about 50mins away).

what can i use to transport him in? bearing in mind it cant be too heavy that i cant lift whatever i carry him in. Anyone have experience in moving a large one? any tips?

there's no time frame I have to have him moved by, I just gotta get rid of the live rock in my tank and clean it out first

A nice sized esky would fit the bill for something to move him in, although catching him presents another problem. My immediate thought was draining the water slightly and bear hugging him, although they mightn't be as fun as it sounds. One of my fishing buddies has an environet which looks pretty good in terms of size, strength and not damaging him in the process.

Goodluck :)

A nice sized esky would fit the bill for something to move him in, although catching him presents another problem. My immediate thought was draining the water slightly and bear hugging him, although they mightn't be as fun as it sounds.

i have moved him before btu thatw as only to different rooms/tanks. I used a large net to catch him, then wrapped a towel around him. only thing wioth an esky is i'm wondeirng how much room he'd want during transport

Are you able to have a large storage tub with lid ready in the car filled and catch the GG in a wet towel and run him out to the tub and do the same at the other end? :dntknw: Bunnings have large tubs.

Are you able to have a large storage tub with lid ready in the car filled and catch the GG in a wet towel and run him out to the tub and do the same at the other end? :dntknw: Bunnings have large tubs.

thats a pretty good idea actually :clap . gourami's are labyrinth fish so breathing in a bit of air shoudlnt be a prob, making sure i dont drop him whiklst running could be more difficult :lol2:

mate i moved one yesterday around 50cm

Use a garbage bag double bagged, let him swim into the bag then put him on a foam box, large foam box the ones that blood worms come in are very thick and wide. Or a huge tub 120l from go lo. then empty the fish out into the box, and repeat the process when adding it in back into the tank. They are pretty calm, just as long as they is water in the bag. the Other alternative is to use a wet towel and catch it by hand.

good luck

thats a pretty good idea actually :clap . gourami's are labyrinth fish so breathing in a bit of air shoudlnt be a prob, making sure i dont drop him whiklst running could be more difficult :lol2:

What Nick said.

If he is used to you handling him by hand, you should have much problems dipping both your hands in there and gently scooping him out.

Black garbage bags wont stress them out. When I took mine out, I used a large net and scooped him out. He was used to my hands handling him, so it was a breeze. I gave him a few pats while he was moving from the tank to the box.

Any sudden movements and he will splash.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think for my own personal amusement and MORE IMPORTANTLY informative purposes, you should visually document the whole movement. Then Upload the pics.

• 1 month later...

Archived