Canister filter connected to bulkheads

Ben

Hi all,

I have seen a few tanks over the years with canister filter input and outputs connected to bulkheads in the floor of the tanks. Was wondering if anyone here has that arrangement and how they find the setup?

There are a few things that worry me about the setup.

• Bulkhead or connection fails and all your water will end up on the floor
  • Back presser on the canister (flow isn't what it should be)
  • Fish filling the input with substrate
I really hate the look and sound of overflows. I am looking at getting one maybe two new display tanks. One will be 8x?x? (either 2x2 or 2.5x2.5 or 2x3h) and the other 6xsame as the 8. If I go for a background on the tank/s look won’t be so much of an issue but the sound will be. I want the tank to be silent running and the only way for silence is canisters.

Any input?

Hi Jon,

I am looking at not having a background as the tanks will back onto a cedar timber wall (already have tanks backing onto the same wall) and it looks really good so no background and no plumbing running up the back of the tanks will be my preference. Not asking for much am I.... :p:lol3:

Yeah man, don't plum the floor of your tank, go the side or back! ;-)

Sounds scary doesn't it Pete, but I have seen many done this way.

I have my bulkheads through the floor of the tank, and I am happy with the results. The substrate is clean, and I have never vacuumed the gravel once! The canister filter seems to cope with the pressure. The inlet actually has a strainer, and is raised above the substrate, so I don't get any sand in it.

I would highly recommend it. You get a flowing current at the bottom of the tank which helps keep things clean.

Hi Rob,

What size tank do you have this on and what type of canister?

Any pictures?

Not wanting to scare you but do you sleep ok not worrying about a hose clamp coming off? ;)

I have a number of my tanks connected to canisters, plumbed inlet/outlet through the bottom.

There is no issue with bulk heading through this surface, and in fact it is probably safer as there is no flexing on the bottom panel of glass as there is with all the other sides (greater with the front and back because of the longer span) of the tank.

o Why would the bulkhead fail? It will be no more likely to do so than ones installed anywhere else. I always use silicon when I install a bulkhead anyway.

o You don’t really get back pressure as the water preventing pumped water out, is assisted by the water coming back in via the inlet. That is there is nearly no head. Least that’s how I look at it, somebody correct me if I’m wrong.

o Substrate is not an issue falling through if the place it falls is into the canister body, and not into the motor. You can easily raise the inlet (most particularly) and the outlet if desired by simply putting a short riser on to the bulkhead. You can limit this too by not using really fine particles as a substrate.

I have plumbed in a number of Eheim pumps, but on my Tropheus tank I have used an Oase Filtoclear (google it), which has a back flush function (don’t have to open to clean, so it is cleaned every time I W/C).

You can use the stainless steal hose clamps that require a screw driver to do up.

Make sure you install taps close to the tanks bottom on inlet and outlet. AND if the piping is not too large, get some Eheim double tap connectors.

I have multiple garage tanks plumbed via the bottom, my 6 by 2 by 2’7” Tropheus tank – and my 2000 litre tank.

Craig

Hi Graig,

I have a number of my tanks connected to canisters, plumbed inlet/outlet through the bottom.

I was hoping you would find my post. I remember you doing this on your tanks and was wondering what you thought.

There is no issue with bulk heading through this surface, and in fact it is probably safer as there is no flexing on the bottom panel of glass as there is with all the other sides (greater with the front and back because of the longer span) of the tank.

Agreed :thumb

Why would the bulkhead fail? It will be no more likely to do so than ones installed anywhere else. I always use silicon when I install a bulkhead anyway.

More a case of the seal failing or connection fails but I guess that's what insurance is for. :shock: I silicon mine in also and to date have never had one leak but the thought of the possibility of all the water escaping not just what falls into the overflow before the pump runs dry worries. Better than a tank exploding I guess.

You don’t really get back pressure as the water preventing pumped water out, is assisted by the water coming back in via the inlet. That is there is nearly no head. Least that’s how I look at it, somebody correct me if I’m wrong.

Thats what I wanted to hear. :lol2:

Substrate is not an issue falling through if the place it falls is into the canister body, and not into the motor. You can easily raise the inlet (most particularly) and the outlet if desired by simply putting a short riser on to the bulkhead. You can limit this too by not using really fine particles as a substrate.

Well the substrate will be sand but as you say falling into the body of the canister isn't an issue. The outputs will have some form of direction on them and will sit around 10cm above the substrate. I will just have to position them where the foai wont build a pit. eg the middle of the tank.

I have plumbed in a number of Eheim pumps, but on my Tropheus tank I have used an Oase Filtoclear (google it), which has a back flush function (don’t have to open to clean, so it is cleaned every time I W/C).

I have a 2260 I am going to use but will need another few filters. Will look into that one. Thankyou.

Thanks for your input Craig. :thumbup:

I agree with Craig re the backpressure.

I'm certainly not an expert in the field, but it makes sense that the pressure should be the same on both inlet and outlet, cancelling each other out.

Perhaps my way of thinking is too simplistic, but it works for my mind :lol3::p

Hey Ben im using a tank with the bulkheads in the bottom it's been good except when i had to replace a tap that was worn. The canister is a cheapie Via aqua where the taps srew on to the motor spilt a little water but got their in the end <_<

Cheers shane :thumb

Hey Ben,

Yes i have the same bulkheads in the bottom of my display.

I agree with everything craig said. My only recomendation would be to get 4 and not 2 in your 8 footer.

I have one canister (2 bulkheads) and due to the size and depth of the tank i always wished i had another one running just for mechanical. The pickups are great, at about 4 inches above the sand and with the usual strainer i dont have any problems with my canisters..

Hey Ben

As you have seen I have my cannisters plumbed through the bottom of my 72 by 22 by 22 and have had no problems. I agree with all of Craig's points.

In my opinion it is important to have good quality cannisters and fittings if you are going this route. I have the bulk heads plumbed to plumbing pipe (25mm), unions and taps (the white plumbing variety with red handles). To this I have a connection to eheim hose and then eheim taps. This way I can replace the eheim taps if they fail. I hook up my water change hose directly to the eheim tap which makes water changes dead easy. Another good thing is that you don't need to prime the cannisters as gravity starts the flow.

Just attach strainers to the intake and you can have them is high off the bottom as you like.

St George aquariums do this on many of the tanks they sell.

I have my returns the normal way over the top, predominantly because I have used up all of the holes on the intake (I have a 2080 with two intakes and a 2028).

As long as the plumbing is water tight there are no real issues as it is a closed system, i.e. when the power is off there is no risk of water going anywhere.

cheers

nick

I was thinking the two outputs in normal bulkhead positions as rocks will hid them and two inputs about 15cm either side of the back center of the tank. Pointing in different directions.

Cheers Nick.... I was inspired by your tank.

Hi Rob,

What size tank do you have this on and what type of canister?

Any pictures?

Not wanting to scare you but do you sleep ok not worrying about a hose clamp coming off? ;)

My tank is a 4x2x1.5. I am using a Pro Aqua cannister filter. 1200LPH.

Search my user name in the photography section and you will see some pics of my setup.

If you still can't find any, I will add a photo on the thread.

Well when I first got it, I was very scared about that, but when I added the cannister filter, I placed hose clamps on both ends (including on the taps of the filter).

It occurs to me to mention;

You can set up a tank with a weir/sump and have it quite.

Canister filters have the downside that they are a greater hassle to clean. They will be as quite as their motor happens to be.

More prone to bacterial die off during a power stoppage than say a sump.

The advantage to an Oase Filtoclear is that they remove the hassle with cleaning. Mine on my Tropheus tank (800l) has a pump on it that does from memory 9000 lph. You have to purchase the pump/motor separate from the filter – both are expensive. They are made for doing ponds, the barrel itself on my one is similar size as the old grey coloured Eheim barrel.

Sand can get caught inside in the internal sponges (which means opening up and physically cleaning the sand out - otherwise called “beating-up-the-sponge”)

Here is an Australian site that gives specs;

http://www.creativepumps.com.au/Pumps/Oase..._6000_11000.htm

Id recommend an overhead trickle if you dont have much space and need quiet. They can be built into your hood or be used as a light blocker if you dont have a reflector. They are extremely popular in asia and have the benefit of easy access to clean since it is all above the tank. The powerhead sits in your tank and pumps water up through the filter (which is above the tank and water level). Extremely efficient IMO and you can use whatever media you wish.

Archived