My 6x2x2 tank Journal

rosco

I read; "I had to move this tank because we are getting a new (well new to us) King furniture modular lounge", and I thought - "shock horror, what has happened when a lounge takes precedent over a fish tank?". After all, a lounge is used to watch a fish tank from...

Then I read; "happy wife happy life", and I thought - "Oh". Or something similarly onomatopoeic.

Then I wondered if you have noticed that the fish tank is missing something? Something fairly important in a "fish" tank. But then I thought - "the maintenance must be easy". Especially as there was no water either.

Pretty blue light there Rosco (-;

Craig

Lol as always Craig good to see you are still floating around. Not filling the tank is the only way I could keep the water as clear as your tanks.

My lack of time is my only lame reason for not firing it back up again. It is assisting with me getting rid of those dreaded trumpet snails.

My happy wife happy life theory is not working out so well as I haven't finished my tank. I still have one to move and it is a 4x2x2 that have the fronnies in. That isn't as bad. Hopefully this weekend I can sort that out. :)

Plus I think that "feature" wall is so 2005 it may be getting a colour change ****sigh****.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Rosco,

with water in the tank now, have the trumpet snails come back yet? I hope you emptied any connected tubing of water, and made sure there were no snails in there. Or even hiding dry with their operculum closed up tight waiting for water to return to behind the background. If this has you worried now, one thing you might want to consider is winding up the water temperature to beyond a snails ability to cope (something around the temperature of the sun?) for a few days should do it. Put your heater/s in and see how high they will take it, I doubt it will be high enough to damage the tank but keep an eye on it. Others may wish to comment here. I have done this in the past without damage... It should be a non-toxic chemical free way to eradicate these snails and the tank water won't need to be replaced when the temp goes back to normal (provided you haven't killed a zillion snails).

For anybody else reading this, this method will work to get rid of snails but can only be used on a non-biologically active tank (i.e. no fish or bacteria etc.).

Hi Chris, thanks for the friendly salutations, it's appreciated.

Craig

Thanks Craig.

I redid all the plumbing and i haven't seen any yet but as you can see I have a universal background and have no doubt that they are zillions behind there so I will pump up the temp to see what that does. I am replacing the substrate work new stuff and have the old stuff in bucket in -7 degrees tonight so I how they have blankets in their shells lol.

I really hate those snails. I got them from one plant 10 years ago and they infected all my tanks over time. Only having 5 tanks now is kind of nice I have to admit.

Cheers

Rosco

Archived