My 6x2x2 tank Journal

rosco

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks all. Those photos were taken around 2 weeks ago. I filled it 5 days ago and I actually managed to fire up the sump yesterday but I have been having trouble with the durso pipe and water levels so I may have take it out again and reduce the height of the durso. The water level in the weir occasionally drops around 4-5cm and the water level is only 5cm from the top so I don't want to increase the size of the hole. The hole is 3mm now and it is real close but he next size drill bit may not work as well as I hope.

here is proof now :lol3:

Tank with the lid off I have not replaced it yet because of the durso probs

IPB Image

Sump

IPB Image

cheers

rosco

Looking good rosco!

I once read that a nice modification for your durso is to silicone an air valve into the top where you are drilling. That way you can open or close the hole as often as you like until you get the right sound :)

Thanks Baz and rob

Finally I think it is working (well touch wood). The hole was simply too small. I ended up pulling it apart and reducing the height of the durso by 5cm and in the process and I removed the valve that I inserted (out of sheer frustration) and boo yah it started working straight away :thumb . The hole I have drilled is just over 4mm so I could jam the valve in. Anyway it is running there is the odd change in water level but instead of 15cm drop is is about 5mm so I am happy with that for now :thumb . If I increase the pump size (it is currently a OR3500 loaner, great pump BTW it passes the Mrs Rossco silence test) I will probably have to reinsert the valve or fill the hole and start again, but now I for now I am happy. :yes::lol1:

cheers

rosco

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have finally started to silence my poor attempt at plumbing and have fish in the 6x2x2. Thus far it has 5 Julidochromis Regani "Mboka" and 6 C Leptopsoma "Kitumba" (I will be getting more shortly). It was planned that this be for my malawi colonies but I am having some problems with wasting of my yellows and mainganos that I am treating ATM. Anyway here are the latest photo I will ordering some universal rocks in the new year

IPB Image

cheers

rosco

Nearly there now..........

Your patience is being rewarded as the tank looks very cool. :thumbup:

The background around the weir looks good, did you find a silicon that matched the background or similiar?

Cheers

Ross

thanks all I hope to order some universal rocks to match the background shortly.

The background around the weir looks good, did you find a silicon that matched the background or similiar?

Ijust used V2 silcone and while it was drying I put some fine gravel and sand on it it doesn't really hide it on the sides but anyway I tried

cheers

Rosco

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

Sump

My version of durso

IPB Image

I will get some more photos in the a few days

cheers

rosco

Guys,

Great info in this posting. :thumbup:

Is the bulkhead the black bit at the bottom and is it up the correct way? Looks to be threaded end up.

Connecting a simple sump to a weir'd tank and I would like to get it right.. :B

The bearings in the spinner seems a bit too noisy even when running a hose into it, so where can I look to buy something a little smoother & quieter. 2 blades or 4?

Thanks for all your info,

Old Dave

Hi Old dave,

The 32mm bulkhead (the black bit at the bottom) I used is threaded both sides. The 25mm ones I have used in the are made by lifeguard and only threaded underneath. I got it sent down from an Irrigation place in Sydney (i think it is in the post somewhere it is the one Craig Thompson always recommends) . I actually have not used a spinning arm I thought them too noisy myself and I thought they may block up over time I have run the tube directly into the first chamber of the sump and it overflows into the next bio ball chamber quite nicely.

I can put some photos up later if like

cheers

Rosco

Thanks Rosco,

the hole in my weir is about 40mm and the bulkhead is one-sided and limited to about 25mm through the core.

The tank is 60"x24"x20". Still waiting on the stand.

The sump is about 24"x18"x18" with a single wall at about 16".

All advice welcome,

Thanks

Old Dave

• 1 month later...

hey Roscoe. my tank size is very similar to yours looking at setting up a sump system very similar to yours. hope you don't mind me pinching a few of your ideas... :thumb:thumb . one pretty silly question i wanna ask how does the "DURSO" work never seen one before sounds like a good idea. all weirs I've seen just flow over through bio balls through a bulkhead in the bottom, but are as noisy as hell.

any help appreciated

Luke

how does the "DURSO" work never seen one before sounds like a good idea. all weirs I've seen just flow over through bio balls through a bulkhead in the bottom, but are as noisy as hell.

A durso works through a combination of

a) raising the water level in the wier so water falling has less height to drop (and hence is less noisy), and

b) having the end of the durso standpipe slightly submerged and under a slight vacuum (and hence avoiding the gurgling effect/noise)

The marine tank folk (I guess because they virtually all their tanks are for diaplay purposes) have extended this a bit using a siphon/durso combination. A smaller siphon runs most of the time draining from below the water surface and the durso is a backup in case the siphon breaks.

Being totally surbmerged the siphone when running is it is perfectly silent; Unfortunately it takes even more tuning than a regular durso to maintain that siphon effect.

eg variations on this theme:

http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-...low-system.aspx

• 6 years later...

Well after all these years in the same spot I had to move this tank because we are getting a new (well new to us) King furniture modular lounge. So over the past two weeks I have stripped it down, gotten a couple of people over and we moved it. I have replaced the filter to a more standard 3x18x18 matrix filter from my fishroom, replaced the pump and the plumbing. This is what looks like today.

Well after all these years in the same spot I had to move this tank because we are getting a new (well new to us) King furniture modular lounge. So over the past two weeks I have stripped it down, gotten a couple of people over and we moved it. I have replaced the filter to a more standard 3x18x18 matrix filter from my fishroom, replaced the pump and the plumbing. This is what looks like today.

The tank before water

20150802_173208.jpg

The filter

20150802_173121.jpg

I read; "I had to move this tank because we are getting a new (well new to us) King furniture modular lounge", and I thought - "shock horror, what has happened when a lounge takes precedent over a fish tank?". After all, a lounge is used to watch a fish tank from...

Then I read; "happy wife happy life", and I thought - "Oh". Or something similarly onomatopoeic.

Then I wondered if you have noticed that the fish tank is missing something? Something fairly important in a "fish" tank. But then I thought - "the maintenance must be easy". Especially as there was no water either.

Pretty blue light there Rosco (-;

Craig

:lol5: nice to see you back posting Craig and a nicely delivered boot to the

nether region on Rosco but you may have to let his missus get them out of

her handbag before it could take effect

a lounge is used to watch a fish tank from... 100% correct again Craig

you mean Rosco needs fish and water in the tank :dntknw: who would have thought

Archived