Brainstorming for my 8x2x2

sean

Hello everyone i was just looking on the "aquariums'r'us website and i have decided to purchase one of there package deals its a =

8x2x2 foot tank with open stlye pine stand and hood , it comes with 2 internal filters and a 300w heater and a light

the first thing im going to do is get rid of the internal sponge filters and purchase 2 external canister filters

one for each end . Then i am going to purchase another heater (250w) and have one of them at each end also.

im gonna do a mainly native freshwater setup with fine sandy substrate and live plants and driftwood

in it i plan to have

* 1 barramundi

* 1 sooty grunter

* 1 peacock bass

plus some native catfish and stuff

just wondering wat peoples thoughts where on this choice of fish ?

will they get along ?

do u think there is 2 many fish ?

could i put some more smaller fish in as well ?

hey well you could probably double that amount of fish in a tank that size. I find the trick when buying fish so they all get along is: buy them all as juveniles and all roughly same size. Make sure they are all young, as usually when they grow up together they will be fine.

Hardest thing is adding adult fish in with other adults, thats when u might run into trouble. So buy all your fish at once if possible and buy them young n small.

i am definatley going to introduce them all as small juviniles :)

becasue i work at a pet store i get good discounts on the fish

i was just looking on our wholesalers website and have decided what fish i am buying

this is definatley what i am getting

*1 barramundi (4-8cm)

*2 archer fish (5cm)

*1 Australian bass (8cm)

*1 black catfish (9cm)

*1 salmontail catfish (11cm)

*1 longfin freshwater eel

*1 silver perch (7cm)

*1 jardini saratoga (7cm)

and hopefully if i can track a peacock bass down i will get 1 of them 2

Well thats gonna be my tankbuster tank !!!!!

cant wait hopefully i will have the tank within the month

The saratoga will get quite aggresive once its around 8 inches and beyond. They grow fast too. Mine has grown 2 inches in the past 2 months and is now over a foot long and terrorising everything in the tank.

Great looking fish though. I had a native 8x2x2 as well. My favourite were the barra.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mate i can help you out with the peacock bass when you are ready .... But i recommend that you get more than one or two peacock bass because trust me ...Once you see them eat together you will wish you had 100 of them ;) Another good fish for that nice size tank would be a datnoid (Siamese Tiger) just to ad some more colour ... Or even a few clown loaches

Hey Sean, careful with the salmontail. Make sure you double the bag when transporting, because when ever I move those guys around they always end up spiking the bag. Also try not to touch salmontails directly. They have a mucus coating on their skin that irritates our skin, so just be careful.

Also my idea for a tank like this is kinda unique. I would get lots of large intertwining pieces of driftwood, to cover most of the tank. Then I would put several bristlenose in the tank, so they can swip up and down all the peieces of driftwood. Albinos, Longfins, peppermints, and a l046 if you can afford it. hehe.

I would then finish up with a few million tetras... as you do.

Oh and btw, with your fish list, is your tank going to be brackish?

Archived