Substrate: Sand (006)

Hi has any one used sand as a substrate before? I have just set a tank up using sand for the first time and it seems to be a little bit unstable on the bottom, moving with the slightest bit of water movement, is this normal or will it settle in more? how does it go when cichlids dig in it, does it affect the fish? any info would be greatly appreciated

Brian

sand works quite well in cichlid tanks as cichlids love to dig so they will move it around a bit and dig craters etc. If your powerhead is powerfull or close to the substrate, it will also move the sand around and make small waves similar to that of the ocean. It is also easy to vacume the bottom.

HTH

Harry

It's good stuff... but keep it to only about 1" or so. Go too deep and you will get anaerobic patches and all the troubles that go with that (unless you're making a DSB marine biofiltration system).

Cheers - OziOscar.

It has good and bad points.

Looks great, but has stuffed 2 AC500 motors of mine already and i've been using it less than 6 months. Tried pre filter sponge on the intake......no good. Tried having no extra circulation......sand sifters spitt everywhere..including into the filter inlet.

I'm currently looking for other eye pleasing substrates for my display tank.

Matt

Archived