Some Fish Photos Of Monster Fish

fishdance

I am in Asia at the moment. Went to this nice public aquarium on the 11th fllor of a skyscraper in the middle of this busy city and saw some South American Fish. Lots of other nice fish and interesting exhibits. I took a few photos of my favourite tankbustes, RTC`s and Arapimas:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

• 2 weeks later...

A few more photos of some big fish and tanks..... Coats are because it is COLD here. Snowed the day these photos were taken.

Some of these large tanks are outdoor ponds with clear acrylic walls (and waterfalls) but I forgot my polarising filter so there a bit of sun glare and reflection. Some of these fish are BIG ..... smallest RTC was over a meter and one TSN at least 1.2m but the tanks are pretty big too!! : )

There was also a pond FULL of red devils and a show with Beluga whales

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

the ponds dont need to be heated in malaysia, its naturally warm enough!

I think you will find he's not in Malaysia in the last series of pics

Coats are because it is COLD here. Snowed the day these photos were taken.

The warning signs don't have any Bahasa Malay on them either :dntknw:

China and Japan. Two totally different aquariums but both cold. Yes the ponds are heated but they are so big that being outside doesnt chill the water too quickly. You have to really look to see any steam/heat escaping. Probably gas heated? The entire building is air conditioned so maybe the ponds are good insulation?

However, I am in Okinawa right now and have just seen the biggest tank in my life!!!! This thing has whale sharks in it!! and it is so big it took me over an hour to realise there were two different whale sharks, not just the same one swimming around. Impossible to see the other side! I have some photos but this tank was so big that it is pretty dark even halfway down the water column. Just like it is in the sea.

At ISO 1600 my pics are fairly noisy (grainy) but I will post when i get a chance.

• 4 months later...

Forgot to update this from before sorry. Some shots of the whale shark tank at last.

A look into the tank from behind some people for proportion - sorry for all the back light relection.

Here people walk down around the tank and as they desend down the water colums they see the actual changes in fish type and habbitat and light levels. If you look accross the tank you will see an uneven line of windows which are different floors where people peer into the tank.

IPB Image

A blurry shot of a whale shark.... this one was approx 5m but they can reach 12m!!

IPB Image

I went to another aquarium - also in Japan recently. It has a donut shaped tank and you go down through a tunnel to get into the center. Only you dont know it is a donut shape yet so when you emerge, your in the center and the place is dark with a 360 degree view of MASSIVE SILVERY BLUEFIN TUNA swimming all around you. I should add this tank is about 20m wide internal dimension (at a conservative guess) and has water racing around in one direction which encourages these monsters to all swim upstream together into the food and oxygen. It is breathtaking to see schooling fish all larger than a car swiming in unison. If that werent enough, they have about 25 cameras embedded in the walls and bottom all throughout the tank and you can sit in front of a LCD monitor and switch from camera to camera at will. WOW WOW WOW. You can see the fish gracefully slide past only just millimeters away. Shiny metallic glittery silver, huge black eyes, massive yawning mouths, built for impressive speeds. In another riverine tank they had a cross section of a waterfall down one wall. Starting up high, it crosses the room and we get a glimpse into the stream via glass. Cleverly they fill it with rapid water fish species so you see suckermouth fish hanging off rocks, some waiting behind rocks and in eddies, mud skipper like fish actually climbing out and others leaping and swimming upstream/uphill. Mesmerising.

Unfortunately I took out and re-charged my camera battery the day before and forgot to put it back in so I lugged around my camera all that day and couldnt take a single shot...! Sad Stupid Sad

Have included a picture of some food TUNA from Tsukjii fish markets though. The largest fish market in the world so the variety of things being sold there is awesome too.

IPB Image

and back on track, another old pic I snapped a while ago - different aquarium again. They pour in an entire trailer load of cabbages at feeding time for these guys!!

IPB Image

wow, wow and wow.. thats awesome!!!!!!!!! thanks for sharing it with us.. great photos and the aquariums are crazy. i like the fact that they are all different designs but all breathtaking in size :clap

• 2 weeks later...

that is awesome :clap

thanks for sharing,

would love to see that one day :)

Archived