In-line UV sterilizer

Scienceman

I have a very specific question - will installing a UV sterilizer help reduce or prevent a mucky filamentous bacteria which grows in my filter tubing (inlet & outlet, see-through-green and non-transparant)?

I now have to completely remove and clean out the tubing every 2 weeks as it builds up and restricts flow significantly, up to 90%. Has anybody had this problem and found an improvement when they added a UV sterilizer?

Would I require one on each filter (canister) or just one for the tank?

A UV will kill (dependant on wattage, flow rate etc) everything that passes through it. This gunk does not pass through the UV so will not be affected by it.

One of my tanks builds up gunk in the canister tubes (inlet), which needs cleaning every time I clean the filter. Other tanks don't. Go figure. I have made a ....brush on a long piece of stainless steel wire, which is long enough to go the full length of the tubing (ones bought from a shop are not), which fixes the issue each time with the least amount of effort from me.

Craig

Yeah, I thought about this but I am not sure how it gets established so quickly. It can either be from a thin layer left on the tubing surface after cleaning or perhaps from bacteria in the water which starts growing on the tubing. I suspect it is the first but I have "sterilized" the tubing in bleach and it did not slow its return.

I never had the problem for 18 months then - wham - needs cleaning every 2 weeks????? :confused:

I have a bottle brush inserted midway down a length of poly-rope which I push down the tubing and then pull it back and forth but its a pain having to remove tubing from 2 canister filters, all attachments, take them outside and clean, rinse, and reconnect.

I have the Eheim Double tap connectors. Detach them, which I do to remove the filter for cleaning anyway, open one end up over a container, and push the "pipe cleaner" up and pull it back out. Jobe done.

I don't know why some tanks get it and some don't, or in your case why you didn't get it but now you do. I shouldn't think a UV will help, but you can always try it if you can afford to do so. Let us know if it makes a difference.

I get a similar slime on the front glass on some of my tanks, but not all.

Craig

Archived